Esteemed Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I remember the old radio shows. They were usually 15 minutes long. "Helen Trent", "Ma Perkins" were on around noon. Soops like Oxydol were sponsors. 

I also remember Stella Dallas......  Ah - the good old days

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@StylishLady wrote:

I remember the old radio shows. They were usually 15 minutes long. "Helen Trent", "Ma Perkins" were on around noon. Soops like Oxydol were sponsors. 

Portia Faces Life

Young Dr. Malone

Lorenzo Jones and His Wife Belle

I remember the names, but not the shows, lol.

Respected Contributor
Watched Guiding Light and As a the World Turns when they were on for 15 minutes. Some of the really old shows can be watched on YouTube. Those were the days when Guiding Light was centered around the Bauer Family and As The World Turns centered around the Hughes Family. Let’s not forget that Meg Ryan got her start on As The World Turns.
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I remember watching "Search For Tomorrow " and Edge of Night" when they were only 15 minutes each with my mother who was always busy but made sure she sat and watched those.

OMG I remember those.  I think there was Love Of Life too.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Watched Guiding Light and As a the World Turns when they were on for 15 minutes. Some of the really old shows can be watched on YouTube. Those were the days when Guiding Light was centered around the Bauer Family and As The World Turns centered around the Hughes Family. Let’s not forget that Meg Ryan got her start on As The World Turns.

Remember Kim on as the world turns.  She had the coolest short hair cut.

Honored Contributor

Still watching GH.  I hope they include Ryan's Hope and Loving and some of the other ones that had a good run but didn't get the longevity that the older ones did.  

Respected Contributor
@Laurie14 since the show is on ABC, imagine they will talk more about soaps broadcast on their network. Could be wrong but just what I anticipate. Hope they have a good host/narrator for the show!
Honored Contributor

This looked to have promise until I saw the group to be featured. A real retrospective of soaps would require a multi-installment format and would be more inclusive than it sounds like this will be. I'll probably record it and see what it looks like. Though I had a brief stint with All My Children, for the most part, the ABC soaps weren't near the top of my list.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor
@stevieb Good Idea to record. I don’t watch GH so would not be of interest to me. Can record and fast forward.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Story of Soaps

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@StylishLady wrote:

Portia Faces Life

Young Dr. Malone

Lorenzo Jones and His Wife Belle

I remember the names, but not the shows, lol.

@Judaline @Shelbelle 

I have many of the old shows on cassettes ... from a box album of The Golden Days of Radio ... it's a vintage heirloom.  Now is the time to pull these out and re-visit the past.

P.S.  ... yes, I still have a cassette player, LOL.