Regular Contributor

Think this may come out this week and instead of waiting for Netflix we hope to pay to see it on our TV. My DH and I BOTH read the book and both agreed it was expertly written and just so want the movie to inspire people to start research or at best talk about dementia which has far too many stigmas on it.

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Honored Contributor

Finally got to see this over the weekend. It is staying with me... I keep thinking of "bits and pieces" of the movie... a movie that stays with me must have something that deeply affects me. At first I thought Julienne Moore might not have deserved an Oscar. Now I'm not so sure. I'd imagine the book is very expertly written, as you have said.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

I just put it on reserve at the library. I can get all the new releases for free at my library. I just watched ""Black or White"" with Kevin Costner last weekend. It was very good.

Contributor

I thought that Julianne Moore played an excellent part. The only thing I thought wrong was that it seemed to just abruptly end. I guess it was a true story and she wasn't going to get better but it just ended....

Respected Contributor

I just watched it the other night on a Netflix DVD. I have to agree with Detta that it seemed to end abruptly and I was surprised that it was over.

Honored Contributor

There are some ""dreamy"" scenes in the movie. I wondered what these represented. Perhaps a guess about what Alzheimer's patients see when they are gazing at the real world? This part of the movie fascinates me..

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I just watched it the other night on a Netflix DVD. I have to agree with Detta that it seemed to end abruptly and I was surprised that it was over.

Hi Big Sister!!

I watched the movie on Sunday night, and it's still living inside my head, and probably will for a long time. It was THAT good to me.

I also read the book when it first came out, and it affected me immensely as well. Julianne Moore's acting was worthy of the Oscar she earned. She nailed the character of Alice with her facial expressions, body language, and speech. 

I think it did end abruptly because there was nowhere else it could go. Really, she couldn't talk any longer, and she lost whatever essence of the person she had been. To show her getting worse would have been too sad to bear. 

I thought it was perfection.  

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: Still Alice

[ Edited ]

I wanted to quote Sunala but I couldn't seem to get out of the font she was using.  Oh, well.

I thought the ending was so abrupt, too, but as Sunala pointed out that there was really nowhere else to go with her story.

Julianne Moore was excellent but then she always is.