Respected Contributor

I get an odd channel on cable called Grit TV and today they ran a Steve McQueen film called 'Nevada Smith'.  I'd seen bits n pieces of it before, but was able to watch the entire film today (w/commercials every 10 min.).  He played a fellow who was half Native American (mother) and half white (father), who went in search of the trio of men that killed his parents.

McQueen was relatively young in this movie, but he was supposed to be playing an older boy/young man - and he looked to be about 30 years old in this movie.  What is it about McQueen that made him so famous?  His looks?  Acting ability?  The roles he played?  His blue eyes?  His cool factor?

Anyway, I njoyed this film and I'll pretty much watch him in anything.  Anyone else have a favorite film of his?  My fav film of his is 'Papillion'.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I was just flipping through channels and happened on Steve McQueen in The Blob!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Steve McQueen

[ Edited ]

I guess it'd be a tie between Papillon and The Great Escape.

I get GritTV. Lots of good films on there.

edit - three way tie?  Can't leave out The Magnificent Seven.

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I get an odd channel on cable called Grit TV and today they ran a Steve McQueen film called 'Nevada Smith'.  I'd seen bits n pieces of it before, but was able to watch the entire film today (w/commercials every 10 min.).  He played a fellow who was half Native American (mother) and half white (father), who went in search of the trio of men that killed his parents.

McQueen was relatively young in this movie, but he was supposed to be playing an older boy/young man - and he looked to be about 30 years old in this movie.  What is it about McQueen that made him so famous?  His looks?  Acting ability?  The roles he played?  His blue eyes?  His cool factor?

Anyway, I njoyed this film and I'll pretty much watch him in anything.  Anyone else have a favorite film of his?  My fav film of his is 'Papillion'.

@jellyBEAN   I recently watched him in The Blob, think it was his first film, on the Movies channel.

Respected Contributor
I haven't seen that movie, but always liked Steve McQueen. I found him to be attractive in an unconventional way. "Love with the Proper Stranger" is one of my favorite movies of his.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

I've always thought Steve Mcqueen was just cool, so I guess cool factor would apply. He just had a certain charisma. He wasn't the most handsome, although he looked good and he wasn't the greatest actor, although he was talented. He stood out though-most definitely. 

Respected Contributor

He played the lead in the TV western Wanted Dead or Alive. It's on ME TV on Saturday in our area. He just had the natural screen charisma all actors wish for. He sure was a mumbler, but a charismatic one!

Honored Contributor

Cool, self confidence, charisma, he had it all!!

Honored Contributor

Wasn't my cup of tea.

Respected Contributor

Nevada Smith was a character out  of the novel and movie " The

Carpetbaggers " .... then they went on to do a movie about

that one character .....