Honored Contributor

Steve McQueen: Man on the Edge

Abandoned by his father, he was a reform school kid with nothing going for him and a giant chip on his shoulder. He joined the marines, but never stayed far from trouble. Hollywood Collection: Released 1990.

Starring: James Coburn 

Available on: Amazon Prime 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Steve McQueen: Man on the Edge

@Sweet_Serenity 

Steve is a favorite of mine...I have the DVD of the Thomas Crown Affair.  He was perfect in the role.

I'll have to check this one out.  Although, I'd rather not know the back story of most stars, I'm sure I will enjoy knowing his.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

He also had his bout with cancer .  The series "  Autopsy , The Last Hours "  provided info abt Steve McQueen's battle with cancer . According to internet info  he died from mesothelioma at age 50  which was traced to  asbestos exposure   during his military service. So sad, he was so talented . All his movies are worth watching .

Valued Contributor

He had such a sad childhood and was on his own at a very young age. I loved him in Wanted: Dead or Alive when I was little. I remember hearing that after he was an actor he often visited the boys home where he spent time growing up. 

Respected Contributor

I wish this was on regular TV.  I don't get any special channels or streaming services.

I read a biography years ago on Steve McQueen and I don't remember the author, but it was quite a sordid tale, esp. about his life pre-fame.  Who really knows how true a lot of the stuff was, but it was very racy.

I'd always heard his cancer was caused by his asbestos gear he had to wear to drive the race car in the movie LeMans.  So that's interesting it's mentioned because of his Marine service duties.  My fav Steve McQueen movie I think is Papillion.  Although The Thomas Crown Affair is up there as well.  Loved Faye Dunaway's wardrobe in that movie.  Bullitt is another goodie.  Wanted Dead or Alive (western TV series) runs on METV on Saturdays at 4pm where I live.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

He also had his bout with cancer .  The series "  Autopsy , The Last Hours "  provided info abt Steve McQueen's battle with cancer . According to internet info  he died from mesothelioma at age 50  which was traced to  asbestos exposure   during his military service. So sad, he was so talented . All his movies are worth watching .

He was also reportedly a heavy cigarette and marijuana smoker.  Asbestos exposure might have aggravated the effects of his habit.

Super Contributor

I remember - back-in-the-day - I always thought that he was SO cool!  I loved him in The Thomas Crown Affair and Bullitt. 

A few years ago I read his biography.  Huge book, very in-depth.  He did have a lousy childhood, mother didn't want him and she was an alcoholic, never knew his father, raised by grandfather, did petty crimes, went into the Service.....came out ultimately as an actor.

When he made it big, he had NO friends, was really mean to those that were in friends, back-in-the-day.  Married 3 times:  used to physically beat and emotionally abuse the first wife Neile Adams; then Ali McGraw who he abused emotionally. Made Ali sign a pre-nup where she got NOTHING, absolutely ZERO, in case of divorce.  She put up with his mental abuse for 5 years.  They had a fight, she threatened to walk out, she did, and he never spoke or had contact with her ever again.  So when Ali McGraw is interviewed and talks about women being empowered, blah, blah -- yeah, I'm really going to believe that.  He used her like a doormat.  Third wife, model Barbara Minty was still wearing her rose-colored glasses after marrying him because he died shortly thereafter.

And Hollywood, of course, enabled his behavior because he was a money-maker but he had burned so many bridges as an adult that when he was dying, only 1-2 friends from all those years of making movies showed up to say their goodbyes.

All in all, he was a narcissistic, abusive, unforgiving, rude, crude person. 

Have to say that he did look fabulous in his aviator sunglasses, wearing his Tag Heuer watch, and driving his motorcycle - but what an all around terrible human being.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, didn't know all that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

@skatting44   I didn't know what type he had until now, but do remember that he went to Mexico to take the extract from apricot pits, 50 when he passed, I believe, and husband to Ali MacGraw at this time.

His daughter died at the age of thirty-eight,about eight years ago, both too young.