Honored Contributor

Steve McQueen Jackie Bissett in "Bullitt" TCM 8:00 p.m. Eastern

I just read something that is terribly sad, but am going to post this anyway.  There is a lot of bad news out there.

Although I love Steve McQueen, I haven't seen that many of his movies, since a lot of them were subject matter I'm not that interested in.  But with his unique, almost explosive personality, talent, and off-the-chart magnetism, I consider him a unique cinematic personality, in the very high league of other one-of-a-kinders, like Cagney, Judy Garland, Cary Grant, Eastwood, John Wayne, etc.

Have only seen short bits of "Bullit", but it has Steve, and is a stylish police thriller.  Steve is a savvy, "go his own way" policeman who is assigned the task of protecting a star witness who will blow open a criminal case, if he can be kept alive long enough...

Has the durable Robert Vaughan (from Man from Uncle) and the gorgeous Brit, Jacqueline Bissett.  Critics love this movie, so probably a good bet for Saturday night...

Honored Contributor

Re: Steve McQueen Jackie Bissett in "Bullitt" TCM 8:00 p.m. Eastern

Neither Steve M nor Bullitt are in my top favorites but I like watching the intros to the essentials as I'm interested in what Alec and his guest have to say about the movie.

Honored Contributor

Best part is the legendary car chase scene on the hilly streets of San Fran, with Steve in the Mustang.

Honored Contributor

Yes, castlenv, I love when they have someone really insightful who offers new or interesting perspectives on the film in question. 

I used to love Molly Haskell when she used to be on-- she's the film critic with a southern accent and nice sense of humor.

I'd love to see the comedian Dennis Miller invited on.  He is an absolute movie maniac, with very detailed and informed opinions about everything.

He even can list his favorite set designs and home decor in films--  love that!

In recent years I haven't been as enthralled with the people they invite on to talk about the Essentials.  At least I can't remember very many that stood out....

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad I saw this thread ... this is one of my all-time favorite movies ... and McQueen the quintessential leading man ...  "Mr. Cool."

Among my other favorites:  The Magnifient Seven; The Great Escape and The Cincinatti Kid.  

Honored Contributor

"Mr. Cool" is so right, SoX!  I wish I could remember the one with him and Natalie Wood, they seem like a good combo to me...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yes, castlenv, I love when they have someone really insightful who offers new or interesting perspectives on the film in question. 

I used to love Molly Haskell when she used to be on-- she's the film critic with a southern accent and nice sense of humor.

I'd love to see the comedian Dennis Miller invited on.  He is an absolute movie maniac, with very detailed and informed opinions about everything.

He even can list his favorite set designs and home decor in films--  love that!

In recent years I haven't been as enthralled with the people they invite on to talk about the Essentials.  At least I can't remember very many that stood out....

You're right about the guests.  Molly Haskell was good and  I thought Sally Field was really knowledgeabble and did her homework.  William Friedkin, the current guest, is good.  There has to be someone who knows their stuff otherwise Alec dominates!!

Super Contributor

Oznell, that movie was Love with a proper stranger.

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

Oznell, that movie was Love with a proper stranger.

Love this one, with Nat and Steve paying the price for having a one night stand, great ending.

Honored Contributor

lilypadfrog, thanks for supplying that elusive title!