Honored Contributor

Re: Star to Leave Funny Girl Revival Early

I had read her singing voice was lacking. I had assumed it was not that good because it received only one Tony nom recently. 

Honored Contributor

Tova Feldshuh is an excellent actress, see her on lots of Law and Orders. 

Regular Contributor

One of my daughters saw this new production.  She was not impressed by any of the major characters.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems shows are usually retooled before they hit Broadway. These don't strike me as mere recasts as much as a retooling of this production, which hasn't exactly caught on. I wonder if the departures of two leading roles were at the invitation of the producer or were, in fact, choices made by the actors. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is an expensive show to mount and ticket sales have been lackluster in recent weeks, even during the busy summer tourist season.

Add to that indifferent to poor reviews and only 1 Tony nomination (no win) when multiple nominations for Revival, Actress and Featured Actress were anticipated. 

I can only assume that producers were desperate for a major casting shakeup.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

This is an expensive show to mount and ticket sales have been lackluster in recent weeks, even during the busy summer tourist season.

Add to that indifferent to poor reviews and only 1 Tony nomination (no win) when multiple nominations for Revival, Actress and Featured Actress were anticipated. 

I can only assume that producers were desperate for a major casting shakeup.

And who can blame them. In my opinion, the casting was questionable from the get go. That said, I'm not sure recasts at this late date can salvage this one. Both those incoming are highly capable, but I'm not sure there's enough star power to attract attention to a faltering production.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

I agree Barbra would be a tough act to follow.  I feel bad for Beanie.  Recently saw her in "Lady Bird" and she was very good.

Check her out in 'Booksmart' if you haven't seen it - very enjoyable. 

Thank you!!  Love coming-of-age movies.

Honored Contributor

Booksmart is wonderful. I saw it three times in the theater, I like it so much. I can't say the same about "Funny Girl"which is one one my least favorite musicals. 

Esteemed Contributor

VARIETY

Lea's name recognition and fans may provide at least a little, if temporary, financial boost to the show

Lea Michele Is the Greatest Star: Broadway’s ‘Funny Girl’ Tickets Surging Above $2,500