Esteemed Contributor

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

[ Edited ]

We went to see the latest Star Wars movie this weekend.  It definitely wasn't my favorite from the franchise, but it was good to see some familiar faces again.  Has anyone here seen it?  If so, what did you think about the ending?  I'm sort of on the fence about it.  My favorite part was sitting in the reclining chairs at the movie theatre.  So comfy!  Smiley Happy  My family liked the movie, but they tend to go for anything Star Wars.  However, they also agreed that it wasn't their favorite.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

The movie gave me what I wanted - storylines to be tied with a bow and resolution. I'm good with it. Dragged slightly in the middle in a 'been there, done that' way but quickly picked up. Son and grandson went today for early Christmas present and they liked it.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't seen the movie. The reviews have been so mixed (mostly negative, I think) so I've been debating whether to go to see it or not.

I loved the three original movies, have seen each dozens of times. The prequels were OK.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens, but The Last Jedi was just awful. I watched that one on Netflix and I could barely stay awake. They truly ruined the Star Wars franchise with that one. I also hated Rogue One, that one we saw in the theater and I did fall asleep through it. Although it got mostly bad reviews, I really liked Solo: A Star Wars movie.

After 40+ years I would like to see how they end the saga. If we go at all, it will be after the holiday when things die down. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw it on Thursday. I don’t think I’m a super fan as I had to google to understand what happened at the end. Makes sense to me now! LOL

Spoiler
I also never really cared about some of the other players, focusing on what is essentially a family drama.  So, I really didn't know much about the "big bad" in this film, even though he's apparently been around since the beginning.

@lmt  I also liked the Han Solo movie, but think Rogue One was better.  Rogue One could have been better than these last three, if not for all the nostalgia in this final trilogy.  Lots of fun throwbacks in this last movie.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I saw it on Thursday. I don’t think I’m a super fan as I had to google to understand what happened at the end. Makes sense to me now! LOL

Spoiler
I also never really cared about some of the other players, focusing on what is essentially a family drama.  So, I really didn't know much about the "big bad" in this film, even though he's apparently been around since the beginning.

@lmt  I also liked the Han Solo movie, but think Rogue One was better.  Rogue One could have been better than these last three, if not for all the nostalgia in this final trilogy.  Lots of fun throwbacks in this last movie.

@Alter Ego  I've tried a few times to watch Rogue One when it's been on TV, but I just can't sit through it. The only good part (for me) was at the end when Princess Leia made an appearance.

Trusted Contributor

I've taken my son to opening night for every Star Wars movie, so this was bittersweet for us as it is the end of the Saga. I flew down to Oregon to attend with him and my grandchildren...ages 17 and 20. Three generations of Star Wars fans. The movie had many amazing parts and of course, some not so amazing. But all in all, we really enjoyed it. There are many negative reviews, but it's worth going to see it and forming your own opinion. I cried seeing Carrie Fisher for the last time....😢

Esteemed Contributor

Seeing Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy, C3PO, R2D2, and Lando made it all worth it for me.  I've had a difficult time warming up to the newer characters like Rey.  

Esteemed Contributor

My boys (7,9 and 31) went last night and they said it was very good.  A sidenote:  yesterday I bought a complete set of the McDonald's current Star Wars toy giveaway which is my Grandsons' gift for Christmas Eve.

Honored Contributor

@retired ida. How did you get to the end with Leia if you couldn't sit through it?
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@retired ida. How did you get to the end with Leia if you couldn't sit through it?

@Pearlee  I didn't fall asleep through all of it, I'd nod off and wake up ..... nod off and wake up again. Thankfully, I did see the end, which was the best part of the whole movie. I didn't hear or read any spoilers prior to seeing the movie, so when Princess Leia showed up at the end it was a very pleasant surprise.