Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spring Baking Championship Finale - spoiler

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments! I rarely start a thread and didn’t expect so many responses. 😊 Romy walking off one competition shy of finals was just too much not to comment on. His and Dennis’ anger was just so unusual - I think you are all right. They were probably tired of being treated like children.

I admit I watch with rose colored glasses and didn’t think about the undercurrent of discontent that may have been brewing given Molly’s disruptions and lowered competition standards (although even I thought the cookie salad was ridiculous.)

I know people commented that Molly would be better with the children’s baking show, but that’s Duff’s and Valerie’s and I wouldn’t want that to change. They do such a great job with the kids, especially when the kids have a breakdown.

PS I completely forgot Bobby Dean started as host - don’t recall who said it, but thanks for that reminder! And I too was a Lorraine fan and blame Covid for her departure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All the hosts would stop by each baker for a quick chat but Molly was just so intrusive and sickenly sweet.

I do not think she alone determines the challenges but how anyone else could ok spinkles is beyond comprehension.

Jaleesa deserved to be eliminated several times but once they kept her and her undercooked cheesecake-it was becoming too obvious how this was going to play out.

I think they wanted Romy out and knew the sprinkles would get to him.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I also liked Diego. 

Tom was ok, too.

Still better than Jaleesa overall.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

The looks on Romy and Dennis' faces were priceless when she announced the sprinkles bake-off.  I could almost feel their exhaustion and disgust..  Sprinkles was bad enough,  but to suggest they make a "cookie or bar" was just awful.

I agree with all of the comments.... let's hope the folks at Food Network make some changes with the next one!

Honored Contributor

• I was proud of the French baker  Romy for refusing to play some dumb sprinkles game at that stage of the competition.  It took guts to walk away.  This was the championship and the bakers deserved better than Molly and her sprinkles.  Bringing Caroline back a few weeks before was also a slap in the face to the other bakers.  She was supposed to win but she didn't decorate the back of her cake so they couldn't ignore that and maker the winner.  Personally I didn't care for Molly on the show.  With her, there was too much silliness and soap opera emotion.  And that nasty cookie salad thing made me laugh for a week. It was so ridiculous.  Usually, I'm sorry to see the end but this season, I'm happy it's over. 
Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego I agree about the kids show -- Duff and Valier really do well hosting that show and they support and encourage the kids so well.  

Occasional Contributor

I am one who said that Molly was more "suited" for a kid's baking show.  But, I did not mean that Duff and Valerie should be replaced. Not ever! I was trying to be kind instead of saying that Molly is so immature in her words and actions, that she just needs to go back to her show so I don't have to watch her ever, ever again. 

I enjoy the Kid's Baking Challenge shows and think that Duff and Valerie are perfect for judges.  They also seem to get along well and can be fun without being syrupy.  

Duff, though... I would love to know what was up with him this last challenge show. Neither Duff nor Nancy acted as they usually do.  I also agree that the "winner" should have been sent home several shows prior.  That cheesecake was disgusting looking.

I also mentioned on the FN FB page.  When and why did they lower the amount the contestants could win?  It used to be 50K and now it's 25K.  If you want to set up a bakery or increase your productivity, 25K doesn't go too far.  I just do not understand why the amount was lowered. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think Jalessa should have won.  While her cake looked good, the judges did say two of her layers had a gummy texture.  I think Carolyn should have won.  Her cake was very pretty and it tasted the best.  After all it is a baking competition.

I don't agree with Romy quitting.  He was in the bottom two not only for his decoration (which was beautiful and it was ridiculous that the judges criticized him for it) but that portions of his crust were raw.  I think he was being a little arrogant by not wanting to compete by making something with sprinkles.  It might have been beneath any of the competitors to work with sprinkles but I think he was being a bad sport. 

Honored Contributor

@NanaGram5407 wrote:

I am one who said that Molly was more "suited" for a kid's baking show.  But, I did not mean that Duff and Valerie should be replaced. Not ever! I was trying to be kind instead of saying that Molly is so immature in her words and actions, that she just needs to go back to her show so I don't have to watch her ever, ever again. 

I enjoy the Kid's Baking Challenge shows and think that Duff and Valerie are perfect for judges.  They also seem to get along well and can be fun without being syrupy.  

Duff, though... I would love to know what was up with him this last challenge show. Neither Duff nor Nancy acted as they usually do.  I also agree that the "winner" should have been sent home several shows prior.  That cheesecake was disgusting looking.

I also mentioned on the FN FB page.  When and why did they lower the amount the contestants could win?  It used to be 50K and now it's 25K.  If you want to set up a bakery or increase your productivity, 25K doesn't go too far.  I just do not understand why the amount was lowered. 

This year it was all the Molly Yeh show.  The judges were just window dressing.  I agree, Duff and Nancy were not their usual selves, partly because less time was spent on judging because Molly was floating around talking to the bakers.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgive me if this has already been said but...in the preheat Molly specifically said she DID NOT want them to make a cake. So what does Jaleesa make, a cake. She didn't follow the directive of the challenge, so how does she move on to the finale?  I was so disgusted I turned the show off after Romy left. I hope he's brought back on another show. I agree with those who feel he should have won.