Trusted Contributor

Re: Spring Baking Championship Finale - spoiler

I was disappointed with this Season as well. In fact, the last couple of Baking Championship shows, Holiday, Halloween, etc., have been lackluster. There was always at least one contestant that really stood out and would sometimes show up as a judge on another competition. 
I agree that Romy was the clear winner...his techniques were head and shoulders above the rest. It was sad when he left....but I think he knew he had no chance of winning based on the "favoritism" shown to some. I wish Food Network would get away from the endless competition cooking and get back to real world cooking shows...you know...the ones that actually teach you to cook with real life ingredients.😉😉

But....that's just MHO.👍

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I watched the whole competition.  I think Molly was most of the reason I didn't care for this season.  She was dripping with sweetness, which to me was very fake.  Also that fake smile she always had.  She didn't leave the bakers alone and always talking about her farm.  The baking was too personal to her.

I don't blame Romy one bit for leaving.  You could see his and Dennis' faces when Molly said the bake off would involve sprinkles just because her kids like them. What a blow to their ability.  I also don't like that the two lowest have to have a bake off.  I think the finale should go to the last three and leave it there.

I like the judges, but I hope Molly has seen her last bake off as host. 

@Patriot3   Molly used sprinkles before she had children, she puts them on most of her deserts,  I would not eat her deserts.

Honored Contributor

I was very surprised at who won, but I think it was because she decorated the entire cake, whereas the others did not, and Dennis had the best tasting cake, but sloppy decorating.  Frankly, I didn't like any of the cakes for a wedding.

Honored Contributor

@MabulouA wrote:

Romy was robbed.  We can't taste, but we can see the level of difficutly and creativeness and he was always doing the most.  Jeleesah getting into the finale with a chocolate cake was ridiculous--I don't care how good it tasted.  Molly was the worst host ever.  Her challenges were basic, simplistic, and insulting to the bakers.  I love this show but fast forwarded throough a lot of it.  I hope they do not bring Molly back.  And I really miss Lorraine--she was honest and gave the most real comments.  Would love to see her return.

@MabulouA   I agree about Lorraine.  I miss her too.  I know with COVID she couldn't travel back from England so we probably will not see her again until maybe the Halloween competition?

She always took the daintiest of bites while Duff would shovel in a big ol' bite.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I thought Duff looked almost bored.

I like Nancy Fuller but she also seemed mostly unimpressed.

Agree about how Kardea fawned where fawning was not needed.

Sprinkles belong with Kids Baking Championship and even then-some of those kids could have outbaked some of the adult bakers.

Honored Contributor

They need to stop bringing back eliminated bakers.

This was the first time for the Spring show but there was another baker who was brought back and ended up winning.  The other bakers had forced smiles because it wasn't a baker from their season-it was a baker from another season.  I forget her name and which show - I believe it was a Holiday Championship.

They also brought back another eliminated baker to help out with a team competition in another baking championship, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego  The winner, Jaleesa, said something interesting at the end of the show. She said, "I always try to teach my kids to finish what they start." I think that was directed at Romy. I was really hoping Romy and Dennis would come back strong, and was sure that Romy would win. Oh, well. It would have been sweet revenge if he could have stayed and won. He is a great baker! The judges this year seemed to phone it in, and Molly has gone down in my estimation since she first started out with Girl Meets Farm. I used to really like her. She really ruined this years championship with her saccharine babbling.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   I took her comment to mean she came back and continued to compete after her panic attack.

I think it would be tacky to make that remark and mean it for Romy.

Had Romy stayed, he would have won, imo.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   I took her comment to mean she came back and continued to compete after her panic attack.

I think it would be tacky to make that remark and mean it for Romy.

Had Romy stayed, he would have won, imo.

@Cakers3  You have a point about her coming back after the panic attack. You are probably right. Perhaps she didn't realize some people (maybe just me) would take it another way.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with everyone who said Molly Yeh was the worst host. She kept going to the contestants and talking about stupid stuff. She acted like a two year old. I hope she doesn't ever return. 

I don't like when they bring back people. I feel once you are gone you are off the show. Please no more bring backs. I think it is unfair to the other contestants. 

I think Romy was fed up with Molly and couldn't take it any longer. She grates on your last nerve. I think he was very talented and was sad to see him leave. 

Didn't Jesse Palmer host the last Spring Baking Show? I liked him and he was not annoying the contestants.

As far as the winner, Jaleesa won because of her decorations not so much the cake. Duff was concerned more with the outer look rather than the taste. I think Nancy disagreed but was overturned. Nancy liked Dennis' cake. This was a terrible season.

P.S. I went to Facebook and posted on Duff Goldman. Many people are doing the same. Many negative comments about Molly and Jalessa.