Trusted Contributor

Re: Spring Baking Championship Finale - spoiler

First...I love watching (usually) the baking championships.  However this season I didn't enjoy it.  I hope they never bring Molly back.  I didn't enjoy her at all.  This is supposed to be the best of the best.  Sprinkles...Cookie cake.  Plus I just didn't care for her goody goody attitude.  (but I have heard her cookbooks are filled with 4 letter words).  Which seems strange.  I loved Carolyn....But I still think it is strange to bring back someone who was eliminated. 

Respected Contributor

We quit watching this year due to the "Molly" person..never heard of her before.

It's not the Spring Baking Championship we always knew & loved..If they all walked off the show I wouldn't blame them!  Glad one person had the courage to leave...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the first -- and probably last time I will watch the show.  There is enough aggravation in real life these days that I don't need more from a television show!  I watched because Kim has a bakery in our town.  I agree that Romy was the best from day 1.  He simply got things done with no drama.  His creations were incredible and he made it seem almost effortless.  I felt that his talent was not appreciated by the judges right from the beginning.  I agree that he should have walked off.  An amazing French pastry chef asked to work with sprinkles???  Unbelievable.  I also agree that Carolyn should not have been brought back.  Nothing like changing the rules midstream when you decide that you made a mistake in letting her go.  The winner made mistake after mistake after mistake throughout the shows.  Forgetting ingredients -- etc -- etc.  As I said -- I think this is it for me.

Respected Contributor

It was a terrible year. Molly was calling the shots on what the competition should be and i disagreed with that. She is too smilely and syurpy sweet. ick.

Carolyn is a great baker and i think if she had won there would have been a big uproar. She didn't compete as much because she sat out a couple of weeks. I think Jalessa should have gone home, several weeks before, when she had a crappy looking cheesecake or when her eclairs flopped. She didn't deserve the win. I'd like to know if there is a backstory to this "win".

Romy was the most talented, every week. His finished products were beautiful.

If Molly comes back, I won't watch. Bring back Jesse Palmer.

Valued Contributor

@Alter Ego Alter, did the judges say anything at that point or did they show them

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I don’t think Carolyn should have been allowed back into the competition (although someone said Molly messed up something for her in the challenge for which she was eliminated, so I don’t know if that’s true or just Molly-hate.) She was warmly received back by the other contestants; I loved how she would ask the judges if she could taste what she made.

I loved how Carolyn’s cake looked. But, honestly, I’m rarely wowed by how the finale cakes look - don’t think they have enough time to create what the judges want.

When they eliminated Carolyn.... all credibility had left the show at that point.  So many other bakers were awful..... alll of the bakers were shocked.  Something was amiss the whole show.  No matter how bad   Jalessa, Tom and Dennis' item looked or tasted they always said it was wonderful.  The stuff looked embarrasing on TV.

Jalessa weddding cake did not look like a wedding cake and had 2 bad tasting flavors.  The show was the worst.  It had some stupid agenda and it failed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that Jalessa should've been sent home weeks ago.

I'm just going to point it out - I think the show wanted a certain representation for the finals regardless of skill. I noticed the same

thing with the recent Julia Childs cooking competition, too.

Hint: skin color, gay/straight, male/female

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I agree that Jalessa should've been sent home weeks ago.

I'm just going to point it out - I think the show wanted a certain representation for the finals regardless of skill. I noticed the same

thing with the recent Julia Childs cooking competition, too.

Hint: skin color, gay/straight, male/female

i think the starting lineup was equal to past starting lineups. In a real competetion, do people really welcome back a competitor, that is clearly better than some that haven't been eliminated? I don't think so. Some say Molly goof on something, well, they could have stopped taping and addressed it then and there. I think there is something off about Romy going home after doing fab work. Molly and her sprinkles is way overdone. Saying he was homesick, was totally lame. He is the winner to me.

Regular Contributor

Frankly, I think Jaleesa's position as winner of this competition was sewn up after the second episode when she had the panic attack.  I understand that there were a lot of factors that contributed to that event, and in no way would I minimize what she was experiencing, but from that point on, it appeared to me that Kardea was not going to fault Jaleesa for any mis-step.  Kardea just fawned all over Jaleesa each episode.  She did a fine job, and she certainly did much better than I could ever hope for (but then again I'm not putting myself out there to participate in a baking competition!), but there were others that I thought were more skilled and refined.  I felt like Jaleesa could have slapped some peanut butter on a graham cracker and Kardea would have declared it a masterpiece!

I really wanted to like Molly Yeh as the host.  I guess Food Network did too as her name is now part of the show's title!  I do enjoy her Food Network show.  But I think she might be better suited to host Kid's Baking Championship.  As others have pointed out, she's just too over-the-top cutesy and perky and self-serving for my liking.  

Valued Contributor

I agree with all the statements here. Molly is just fake and should not have been allowed to dictate the shows direction. What really bothered me in the final episode was the insult to Romy about not handling being away from family well. Just tacky. The judging needs to take all the bakers work into account. Jalessa (sp) was a hot mess. Romy was the true winner.