Esteemed Contributor

Spring Baking Championship Finale - spoiler

I love these baking shows - love the beautiful creations the very talented bakers make. I didn’t even mind the host this season - Molly Yeh brought a sweetness to the competition.

But she also brought…sprinkles.

If you watched tonight, you know what’s coming next. Food Network Facebook is exploding. With four bakers left, the bottom two in the preheat would have to compete for a chance to be in the finale. Already, the bottom two were not happy to hear this news as it was unexpected. And then the twist. They would need to use Molly’s favorite ingredient: sprinkles.

The French baker - who created some of the most beautiful and drool worthy creations this season - walked off!! The combination of the surprise competition plus sprinkles was too insulting. I admit I was even insulted for him - scoffing at my TV about the ridiculousness of sprinkles even before he walked off.

To be fair, Molly also brought cookie salad and the show randomly brought back an eliminated baker (eliminated for said cookie salad). Overall, it was an unusual season.

The winner is also a controversial subject - but that’s always the case. Regardless, most on Facebook are sayings Romy (the French baker) was the real winner.

Anyone else watch? What did you think? Both gentlemen seemed more livid than usual.
Respected Contributor

Re: Spring Baking Championship Finale - spoiler

[ Edited ]

Of the 3 left, I think Carolyn should have won.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought Romy the best baker throughout the show. The judges seemed way off the whole show as if they were not being truthful, that they weren't really free to judge and the choices were made for them.

Even when the "winner" was announced it seemed forced, reactions all seemed disingenuous. 

I know reality shows are mostly fake but this one takes the cake. Couldn't resist. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t think Carolyn should have been allowed back into the competition (although someone said Molly messed up something for her in the challenge for which she was eliminated, so I don’t know if that’s true or just Molly-hate.) She was warmly received back by the other contestants; I loved how she would ask the judges if she could taste what she made.

I loved how Carolyn’s cake looked. But, honestly, I’m rarely wowed by how the finale cakes look - don’t think they have enough time to create what the judges want.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Romy was the best to win and I don't blame him for leaving.  He did say he thought the challenge was beneath him and I agree.  Sprinkles already.  Yeesh.

I didn't care for Molly, either. 

I agree the judges seemed off this time; and while that wedding cake really was beautiful Jaleesa made it to the second half with a chocolate cake. 

Not to mention she really didn't do very well throughout the whole competition.

Dennis didn't stand a chance.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This isn't the first time a baker was brought back and I think the last time the baker won.  It wasn't the Spring Championship; if I remember if was the Holiday Championship.

If it was a mistake with Carolyn, that is one thing but I cannot imagine what Molly did to cause this.

I think once they are gone, they should stay gone. 

It's an unfair advantage-they know their weaknesses, and they know what the judges like and dislike-not just for what caused them to be eliminated but also seeing what the judges felt with the other bakers.

This season was my least favorite and really seemed to lack something this time around.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

It was the worst Baking Championship ever.  Judging was way off.. seemed like most pitiful story  or whoever Molly liked was winning instead of baking skills.   The whole show seemed diffferent..  Molly was so wierd about many things including the sprinkles thing.  Molly made the show cringe worthy .

Romey had integrity to say not going to make a stupid brownie or cookie with sprinkles to stay in this contest as every saw when Carolyn was cut that all skill had nothing to do with this show.  Sorry I wasted time watching it.

Valued Contributor

What a horrible horrible season. How many times has a baker been sent home because they made a simple cake. While others are being creative and making different layers and designs with their goods. She even forgot to put in the crunchy chocolate, which I can't think of The name.  The judges weren't really judging on creativity this time. Cookie salad? How repulsive the name even sounds to us much less the bakers. Criticize Romy because they didn't like that he put a broken heart on his beautiful  creation which sent him to a bake off with another stunned baker, Which can you just imagine who would've lost making a cookie or brownie with sprinkles on it.  Does anyone know what Romy has said about this? I turned away from the TV just as he walked out and I missed anything he said.

Esteemed Contributor

Just watched again. This is what he said:

“I’m just not okay with it. I think I’m going to quit.” In the confessional:” (The final challenge was a pretty tough challenge) It’s not only knowledge and recipes, it’s a part of you. You need to put a part of you on the plate.You need to plate with your feelings and it’s really really overwhelming.”

When he and Dennis were walking to the back of the room to start, he said “I don’t want to play with sprinkles. I just want to go home. Goodbye” (as he placed his arm around Dennis)

They don’t show any other conversation, but the door they show him leaving was the judging room and the lighting was dark. I’m guessing they didn’t want to air his real feelings, after being insulted like that. Dennis also made comment about the sprinkles in his confessional (not the day he was expecting and not they need to use sprinkles- or something like that)

This isn’t the first time the bottom two needed to compete to make it to the finale. But, this time, Romy and Dennis were both so angry about it even before the sprinkle announcement.

Copying a quote seen on Facebook - imagine telling a professional baker to make something found on a cool whip container.

I don’t think Jaleesa deserved to be in the finals, but sometimes people just get lucky and someone else does something worse. And, since they judge on the task at hand rather than the entire competition, I can’t fault her win. After all, we can’t taste, we can only see, and her cake was the most complete (I guess).

I like your comments about creativity - her cake wasn’t creative and likely started the bad feelings. I don’t care enough to look back, but I wonder how many cakes she made all competition.
Esteemed Contributor

I watched the whole competition.  I think Molly was most of the reason I didn't care for this season.  She was dripping with sweetness, which to me was very fake.  Also that fake smile she always had.  She didn't leave the bakers alone and always talking about her farm.  The baking was too personal to her.

I don't blame Romy one bit for leaving.  You could see his and Dennis' faces when Molly said the bake off would involve sprinkles just because her kids like them. What a blow to their ability.  I also don't like that the two lowest have to have a bake off.  I think the finale should go to the last three and leave it there.

I like the judges, but I hope Molly has seen her last bake off as host.