Honored Contributor

Re: Spielberg's THE POST starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks

I also have this one scheduled to record, so I'm looking forward to it.  

Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks - doesn't get much better than that!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I can't do Meryl any more. She is a good actress ,but, I can't get a certain thing out of my minds eye..It is just something I will never forget

Honored Contributor

It is a great movie.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I didn't know the story, it was a few years before my time, so I found it interesting and well done.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

First showing tonight on HBO which makes me happy.  It's a film I wanted to see but missed at the box office, so I'll be watching it tonight.

I watched it on HBO tonight.  It started slow but then it was riveting. I thought it was excellent!  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I've seen promos and trailers for this film, and the problem I have with these two stars, both of whom I like, is that they are such superstar celebrities that I can't get past them being Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in their roles, rather than the characters they play.  In other words, they are too famous and I can't get into them in their roles.   Esp. Hanks as Ben Bradlee - I kept thinking "it's Tom Hanks!"

After watching Tom Hanks in the movie Saving Mr Banks, I would not want to watch him  play another biographic role. It was painful to watch. And such a shame because everyone else in the movie was so good.

Honored Contributor

How I wanted to love this movie, but I found it to be a boring dud.  

I have read that it was "rushed" for timeliness and to make the Oscars.  If that is the case, a pass for Spielberg.  It appeared in some scenes that he was resorting to stock actions from movies of the 1940s.  Case in point, stereotypical newspaper presses running and type being set.  Kind of corny. 

Honored Contributor

i really liked it.

Esteemed Contributor

I recorded it last night to watch later.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

First showing tonight on HBO which makes me happy.  It's a film I wanted to see but missed at the box office, so I'll be watching it tonight.

I watched it on HBO tonight.  It started slow but then it was riveting. I thought it was excellent!  

@smoky22  I'm glad you posted this.  I thought a lot of it was really dull, esp. at first. I even changed a load of laundry from washer to dryer because I was getting bored!  I'm not as extreme as @golding76  about it, but I was disappointed in it.  I'm glad I saw it (because of the hype it got) but would never watch it again. I can watch favorite films over and over again and never be bored.

I do remember when the Pentagon Papers were published, and Daniel Ellsberg being in the news almost every day for having leaked them.   But I didn't find any of this film riveting.   I often cannot get into Meryl Streep's role, whatever she is playing, because she's such a celebrity that I only see Meryl Streep and not her character.   That is also true for Hanks nowadays for me, although it didn't used to be.  I did get into Meryl being Katherine Graham, but to me Hanks wasn't convincing as Ben Bradlee.   

I thought it was a nice touch at the end, showing Nixon on the phone prohibiting any Post reporters from entering the White House and then the next scene being a few minutes of the Watergate break in.  That was clever.  Too bad the entire film was only OK until then.

I watched the last half hour if Its Complicated (also with Streep) for the umpteenth time (as my mom used to say) before The Post came on, and enjoyed that a lot.   I'd have rather have spent the time watching that film yet again - it always holds my interest and I absolutely love the scene on Meryl's date with Steve Martin when they go to her closed bakery and she makes him choc. croissants.  I wish The Post had as memorable a scene as that.