Honored Contributor

Spectrum,Not Again

[ Edited ]

So I'm watching Feud last night on FX and scrolling across the bottom of the screen is a threat we will lose FX and shows like The Americans, Fargo, and Feud! Last year I remember the threat of losing NBC and the other related channels. There was a number to call to complain and I will, but I'm so sick of this! My cable bill is $200 a month and will probably go up again, because we the consumers will have to suffer the burden of the settlement. I know it's not just Spectrum that does this, example of a thread of DirectTV having trouble with ABC.

Super Contributor

I finally summoned the courage to cut cable last December and now get more channels for free than I did when I paid Spectrum. Even an indoor antenna gives me all the networks and 26 other channels.  With that and Netflix, I'm very happy and $150 richer each month.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  You can add U-Verse to your list.  Last month we lost all CBS channels, but it only lasted a week (it was a regional thing).  At least they are giving you a warning.  I never even got that.......it was just gone.  I also pay over $200/mo.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I'm just sick of their dang commercials. 

Honored Contributor

@waterlily wrote:

I finally summoned the courage to cut cable last December and now get more channels for free than I did when I paid Spectrum. Even an indoor antenna gives me all the networks and 26 other channels.  With that and Netflix, I'm very happy and $150 richer each month.

You must live near a big city if you are getting so many channels on just an antenna. We live in the boonies and I get a grand total of 2 channels on my one tv using an antenna. We were much better off, a few years ago, when our cable company didn't require a cable box for every tv. I had cable to watch anywhere in my home! Now we only have 2 boxes because its so expensive. My non cable tv's are Smart tv's so I can at least watch Netflix. Cable companies are pricing themselves right out of everyones home. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

For years Time Warner did that sort of thing with the losing channels, etc. Got sick of paying them and every year playing "Let's make a deal" to lower the rate.

Got rid of them 18 months ago and don't regret it. Do I miss some of the shows I used to watch, sure - however, I like having the extra money in my wallet more.

Honored Contributor

I called today to voice my opinion of how unhappy I am with this new threat of losing FX. I don't know if it does any good, but at least Spectrum knows about my disappointment with them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Spectrum,Not Again

[ Edited ]

If I cut my cable then I would get only 4 channels with a regular antenna. It stinks. Cable companies are like drug dealers...they get you hooked then stick it to yarolling eyes.gif

Frequent Contributor

This is THE WORST! Especially when you pay $100 - $200 per month! I had Time Warner Cable that was just purchased by Spectrum and this has me worried! When consumers are paying such a high premium for their service, they have an EXPECTATION of service. Losing channels is NOT an option and shame on the cable companies for inconveniencing the paying customer. Can you tell that this is a sore subject for me?!? LOL! Smiley Happy

I am SO tempted to ditch cable, too. The problem is that every time I do some research on it, I haven't been able to find a solution that will work for me....YET. I have a feeling that something viable will be available in the not-too-distant future since the anti-cable market is growing. The problem for me is that cable is probably my one guilty pleasure because I enjoy "staying in." I wish I could "pay by channel" because there are only a handful of channels that I watch regularly. The problem is, those channels are not in the basic tier. I really hate the "tier" setup, too. A total ripoff, IMHO.

Thanks for letting me vent...I feel a little better now...LOL! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Spectrum,Not Again

[ Edited ]

We just switched from Brighthouse/Spectrum to Direct TV.  WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT'S BEEN!

Spectrum kept raising our bill.  I threatened to disconnect if they woudn't come down, and they didn't.  They said "too bad".   Brighthouse was GREAT before they either merged or got bought out by Spectrum.  They'd always give me a "deal" when my year ended--Spectrum--not so much..refused to budge.  I heard a lot of customers are leaving due to increased prices.

Last weekend we switched--drama with dh and internet and now the cable has not been buried yet.

I abhor all of these companies--I hope it gets ironed out.  I do like the Direct TV ease of operation for the tv recorder.  I only had one box with Spectrum and paid more.  ATT is giving me a deal for 2 years.  Then, I'll end up having to switch again.  It's the biggest racket.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"