Honored Contributor

Special about bats on CNN at 10 P.M.

[ Edited ]

If you are interested, there's a special on bats on CNN tonight at 10 P.M. There's been ongoing research into the immune systems of bats. Their immune systems allow them to congregate in extremely close quarters and not become ill themselves. While they stay safe, they are considered the vectors in multiple zoonotic diseases spread from the bats to humans and other animals.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Special about bats on CNN at 10 P.M.

This was very interesting.

Also interesting that they are more worried now about humans giving bats Covid-19 than the other way around.  I never realized how much alike bats and humans are, physically.  

There was a lot I didn't know about bats.  Like there was over 1,400 species of bats!

Respected Contributor

DH watched it and found it fascinating and frightening.  I hope to catch a repeat showing.

Denise
Respected Contributor

I LOVE bats

I will ALWAYS love bats

BATS are a very important part of a healthy ecoststem

FRUIT BATS - look like dogs, they are gorgeous.

I won't villify bats because of diesase, I don't live in close proximity to them, I don't EAT them (REPULSIVE x 10!) and I don't seek them out.

But I will ALWAYS SUPPORT BATS!

Honored Contributor

Does anybody know the name of this special, so it can be searched?  TIA Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Does anybody know the name of this special, so it can be searched?  TIA Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt   It's called "Bats:  The Mystery Behind Covid-19."  I didn't watch it but will when it's repeated.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

I LOVE bats

I will ALWAYS love bats

BATS are a very important part of a healthy ecoststem

FRUIT BATS - look like dogs, they are gorgeous.

I won't villify bats because of diesase, I don't live in close proximity to them, I don't EAT them (REPULSIVE x 10!) and I don't seek them out.

But I will ALWAYS SUPPORT BATS!

@MoonieBaby, I had absolutely no idea how important bats are until I watched this special. 

They still freak me out though, I'm not going to lie.  

As an aside, some of this special was tough to watch when they showed the meat markets in China.     

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

I meant to say I won't vilify them because of disease they carry - my spell check didn't catch my faux pas because I was so far off base! (wink!)

I used to love seeing the Rodriguez Fruit Bats at the Philadelphia zoo - I'd stand there and literally extoll their virtues to other kids and thier families...

yea, I'm that weirdo!

What can I say I love all creatures great and small and bats caught my imagination early on.

I'm glad you watched the special and learned about their many virtues and reasons we really must protect them.  They are Momma Nature's insect exterminators.

Have a wonderful week. Don't let anything drive you batty!  

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt   It's called "Bats:  The Mystery Behind Covid-19."  I didn't watch it but will when it's repeated.

Thank You so much!  Smiley Happy   I searched the Tivo and see another airing on Friday, 6/19 at 6pm (I'm in the Pacific Time Zone so YMMV on the time).

Contributor

LSFN