Respected Contributor

Somewhere South TV Show

[ Edited ]

In case anyone is interested, "Somewhere South" TV show with Chef Vivian Howard (from NC, by the way) comes on tonight at 9 pm EST on my local PBS station UNC-TV...   It's daylight savings time 9 pm..

Trusted Contributor

Yay!  I know; love Vivian.  It started last week.  Are you a big fan? Heart

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

@kutira wrote:

Yay!  I know; love Vivian.  It started last week.  Are you a big fan? Heart

I missed most of the first show, but I do like her.  I enjoyed her first series, 'A Chef's Life'.  Loved all of her guests.  I live in NC and wish I lived closer to Kinston, where her restauarant (Chef & the Farmer) is located.. I'd love to go, but it's just too far to drive for me..

Trusted Contributor

Re: Somewhere South TV Show

[ Edited ]

Awwww, if I lived that close, I'd make the drive.  Love "A Chef's Life" and was kind of disappointed with new show because it doesn't involve her family.

Enjoy!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

I knew it was going to be on.  I wanted to watch but I fell asleep.   

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

In case anyone is interested, "Somewhere South" TV show with Chef Vivian Howard (from NC, by the way) comes on tonight at 9 pm EST on my local PBS station UNC-TV...   It's daylight savings time 9 pm..

The porridge episode was excellent, and I learned a lot about Southern cooking. Great show !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

@KatieB  I now live in Wake Forest, NC, but grew up in Goldsboro.  My grandparents lived in LaGrange, NC.  I am dying to go to Vivian's new restaurant!  What part of North Carolina do you live in?

Honored Contributor

Done in the style of Anthony Bourdain, lots of history, good cooking & great eating with friends.  I didn't see the entire episode, our governor called a news conference but I think it's repeated some time this week or I can probably watch online.

On my PBS after Somewhere South is Dishing with Julia Child.   2 chefs watch an episode of Julie Child & comment.   I enjoyed it.

Somewhere South this week is dumplings, next week, Pickles!

Speaking of pickles, I just found out Asheville has a chow chow festival every year.  OMG how I love chow chow.  

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed the porridge episode of Somewhere South.  Especially the discussion of "soul food".  By the end of the show I so craved a platter of grits.