Honored Contributor

Soap ( Opera ) Fans

[ Edited ]

General Hospital Is About to Run Out of Original Episodes — Here's How ABC Will Fill the Daytime Void

Michael Ausiello

With General Hospital‘s original-episode stash about to run dry, ABC is betting on nostalgia to fill the Port Charles-sized ho le in fans’ TV schedule

GH will air its last fresh, pre COVID-19 shutdown episode on Thursday, May 21. In its place, ABC will broadcast reruns of classic episodes of the soap, beginning with three weeks of Nurse’s Ball-themed outings (airing Monday, May 25 through Friday, June 12, starting with episodes from the year 2014)

•  

As we previously reported, the ABC sudser had nearly two months of episodes banked when production came to an abrupt, unprecedented halt in mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic. Since early April, ABC had been stretching out GH‘s limited inventory by running special “Flashback Friday” episodes (aka reruns) every Friday.

Details on additional theme weeks will be announced by ABC later this month. There’s no word on when the network plans to resume production on GH.

ABC will be the third (of four) daytime sudsers to run out of new episodes. Late last month, CBS’ The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful aired their final original installments; the network similarly deployed classic reruns to fill the 90-minute void in the schedule.

NBC’s Days of Our Lives, meanwhile, has enough original episodes banked to last well until fall.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs   I just made myself laugh.   I saw your post but didn't see the category and thought...  I LOVE BEAUTIFUL SOAPS,  LET'S SEE WHAT SHE POSTED!!!!  Then I realized your SOAPS referred to something other than what I thought!  

Thanks for the unintended laugh.

Honored Contributor

wonder when Y&R actors will go back to work and do the up to date episodes ?

Honored Contributor

@nyc1   LOL I didnt think about that Smiley Happy    You are so welcome though for the unintended laugh, we need alot of laughs right now! Man Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@SharkE    I wonder this too. My Fav soap is GH and sometimes will watch Y & R and DOOL at times.

Honored Contributor

Days tapes 6 months in advance, so glad that is my soap, gives me something to look forward to while at home. Helps to break up the day. 

Honored Contributor

my husband hopes it never comes back and I hope sports don't ever come back.  LOL

Respected Contributor

I think this will be fun to watch. They are always entertaining.  

Honored Contributor

by the way the gal who plays Nicki Newman has a book coming out in Aug of this yr.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs 

TyvmSmiley Happy

I watch both GH anf DOOL...but GH is better right now...until the reruns...and then ?/

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."