Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know why there were unsaddled horses next to the regular horses in front of the casket? I googled it but they just talked about how they had to prepare the horses for all the sights and sounds. Maybe they explained it on BBC

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@abbalulu .......I am not positive, but they had a rider-less horse following JFK's casket.  I believe it has some type of miliary history the rider-less horse representing the deceased.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I would never be able to walk at that pace for such a long period of time.  Everyone in sync, including the horses.  Amazing procession.

@Krimpette 

I think Princess Anne is about my age.  I kept thinking with those long strides and that long distance, I'd have to stop for a bathroom break--or two! 🤭

Honored Contributor

It's great being able to see these things happen in real time.  I marveled at Charles and Anne who are a decade older than me.  How did they have the stamina and strength to do that march in those uniforms, with swords.  

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@abbalulu .......I am not positive, but they had a rider-less horse following JFK's casket.  I believe it has some type of miliary history the rider-less horse representing the deceased.

Yes I remember that. But I believe for JFK it was a saddled horse with the boots backward in the saddle signifying the dead person.

This was several unsaddled horses (I'm not sure how many but more than one) along side the horses with riders.

I will google it more and if I find an answer I will report back.

Thanks for your answer.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

Since there was more than one and due to the ages of the Queen's children, maybe they were there, "just in case".  The one by itself, I believe it does represent the fallen.  

Esteemed Contributor

The control room set up by the BBC in Westminster Abbey for the historic telecast of the Queen’s 1953 Coronation.

p094bzxj.jpgCrtl-Room-CC.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: So greatful for t.v.

[ Edited ]

I have been watching BBC most of the time and am happy with their coverage.  It is amazing how well people are adapting to hours in line, only leaving for a potty break or what some water.  I guess having numbered IDa on their wrists has made it easier, but I am very impressed with the respect and politeness people have shown one another.  

We were in England only once, but the sights are coming back to us.  Elizabeth will be buried next to Philip in Windsor Castle.  What a beautiful place that is, and the surrounding town.  I have read many times it was her favorite place.