Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I was surprised to see the previews for yesterday’s show because I thought it had been cancelled. I stopped watching a couple of years ago when they couldn’t get through a show without one of the wives breaking down in tears. Initially, it was interesting to see how they managed the dynamics of a plural marriage. Then it just devolved into a circus with a traumatic event/cliff hanger each season. I don’t remember McKelti (spelling courtesy of auto correct), but I remember that the second daughter to get married had an odd husband who wanted Kody to take out a second mortgage to pay for a big wedding for them. Was that her?

Sounds like that creep Tony, he thinks he is in the drivers seat. Wants 400 guests, multi taco buffets & pinata's???? He has no regard to spending someone else's money. It is usually the bride's parents that decide on the wedding, since they are the ones paying for the whole shindig. I don't watch on a regular basis, but did they ever say if Tony has a job or expects the tv show/Kody to support them?

Valued Contributor

My guess is that Meri doesn't leave because she needs the income she receives from appearing on the show.

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't watched for a few seasons, then watched during holiday break while campus was closed, during a cold spell. McKelti's boyfriend appears to be acting. Maybe it's a ratings thing and he's hired to break her heart. And all the moms will be angry and the dad will shake his fist, give a speech and be a hero.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919

Tony is a hot mess.  This is not the '50s when most women submitted to their husbands' preferences with little to no regard for their wives.

I am Latina and I cringe every time he opens his mouth.  This guy is playing the 'machismo' card to the nth degree.  His family dynamic would shed tons of light on his behavior.  He must be echoing his father.

Bottom line:  if McKelti doesn't put her foot down NOW, it's only going to get worse.  

Furthermore, why must she always bend to accommate his wishes?  

He and I wouldn't last 5 minutes in the same room.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Haven't watched for a few seasons, then watched during holiday break while campus was closed, during a cold spell. McKelti's boyfriend appears to be acting. Maybe it's a ratings thing and he's hired to break her heart. And all the moms will be angry and the dad will shake his fist, give a speech and be a hero.   

I hope so!  It's better than marrying him-right now anyway-he needs to grow up....

Respected Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

My guess is that Meri doesn't leave because she needs the income she receives from appearing on the show.

You’re probably right. In Utah, she worked as a youth counselor before being fired for being a polygamist. Returning to that field probably isn’t an option now unless she somehow maintained her certification and is a better actress than it appears. 

Valued Contributor

I watch this show and other "reality" shows.  So far this season, Sister Wives is a "yawn" for me.  It seems that wedding planning and babies keep audiences watching and, that is a benefit for the casts and the network.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sister Wives

[ Edited ]

I never watched this program but have seen commercials and I wonder why women would want to share one man and yet he can have 5 or 6 women to chose from.  Something is wrong with this picture.  I believe the women are foolish and insecure.  Utah seems to be a strange place to live.    Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I am afraid that after being in that huge family for like, what 25 years, that Meri won't do well living on her own.  But I've been wrong before!   She may do well living in the Bed & Breakfast house (that was her Grandma's house, I think) and will have guests there to keep her company.  Her daughter and she had a falling out, so there probably won't be many visits from her (is it Meriah?)...  but she is completely free to leave that huge family, so we shall see!

Trusted Contributor

The big family is probably hoping for the TV show to stay on air so that they can pay for all the upcoming weddings!!  Aren't there about 9 or 10 more girls to go after this current one? 

I don't watch as much as I once did, but it seems to be staying on TV longer than I expected it would!     Just so I don't have to see Kate Plus 8 renewed again!  Or did I see that commercial correctly?

But now they also have 3 more families who are "seeking" a sister wife to add to their broods.  The preview of it was last night, I saw a few minutes.