Honored Contributor

Re: Sister Wives Christine Brown marries after 6 month engagement

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PansyBoo wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

An acquaintance of mine is a good friend of Christine.  She said she had received an invitation to the wedding but she had to buy a ticked for $1500.  The show paid for the wedding.  I'm in Utah to I have several ties to her.

@Scooby Doo, I'm unclear on what you're saying. The invited guests, including your acquaintance, had to pay to attend the wedding?  

That's what I was told.  I dunno, maybe some of it was for accommodations in Moab.  She went to all the other pre wedding parties but skipped the wedding ceremony.

Hoping the $1500 was what the guest would have spent to attend the wedding, NOT what the couple was charging!  I would need that charge explained to me.

Trusted Contributor

@Lakelife62
*Sigh* really? Even on a impersonal mb and not aimed at anyone? Was that really necessary? Language policing.
Trusted Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
@Lakelife62
*Sigh* really? Even on a impersonal mb and not aimed at anyone? Was that really necessary? Language policing.

not policing. informing. if you want to continue to use the phrase, up to you.

Trusted Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Posters may not know this but the word "gypped" is a racial slur. I have heard and read it a lot lately and it could be because my mind's eye is open to it because my boss used it and i felt i had to tell him it was offensive. He had no idea.

Meaning: defrauded, swindled, cheated. Origin: “Gypped” (sometimes spelled “jipped”) comes from the word “Gypsy,” which is a derogatory name for the Romani people (also known as the Roma).

Hmmmm, I never knew that - Thanks for enlightening me - Unfortunately, I have used that word on occasion. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Posters may not know this but the word "gypped" is a racial slur. I have heard and read it a lot lately and it could be because my mind's eye is open to it because my boss used it and i felt i had to tell him it was offensive. He had no idea.

Meaning: defrauded, swindled, cheated. Origin: “Gypped” (sometimes spelled “jipped”) comes from the word “Gypsy,” which is a derogatory name for the Romani people (also known as the Roma).

@Lakelife62  - Gosh,  I had no idea!  I've used that word before.  I won't use it again now.  Thanks for letting us know.  

Super Contributor

Since TLC paid for the entire wedding I don't understand this claim of guests being charged $1500. ..

( if this is true...why? And who's idea was it ?

I personally think Christine should have stayed engaged for a longer time...especially since they met on a dating site only a year ago... I wonder if her,  now husband ,.knew who she was before meeting...

Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

@Lakelife62 Very true.  A lot of people just think it's a word meaning being a cheat but not realizing that it's a slur to a certain group of people. 

I also don't like the new phrase that people use a lot now which is being called "a Karen".  My best friend's name is Karen and it is unnecessarily hurtful.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

@Lakelife62 Very true.  A lot of people just think it's a word meaning being a cheat but not realizing that it's a slur to a certain group of people. 

I also don't like the new phrase that people use a lot now which is being called "a Karen".  My best friend's name is Karen and it is unnecessarily hurtful.

I think many of us have used phrases we later find out is offensice I never jumped on the "Karen" bandwagon because it never made sense to me why that name would be associated with what us old schoolers always just called a &itch,