Honored Contributor

Did anyone watch 20/20 2 hour special on Siegfried & Roy last night (9/27)?

Very interesting.  There are 3 versions of what really happened when Roy was "bitten" by one of the tigers.

Every trip I took to Vegas always included a S&R tiger/magic show.  To see those white tigers in person is truely amazing. 

S&R are currently making a movie about their lives & show.

If you missed it, check out On Demand & YouTube (pt1-2).  For some strange reason, the show is not on 20/20 website yet.  Maybe this upcoming week?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 🐯 Siegfried & Roy 🐅

[ Edited ]

I stumbled across it when they were recapping an interview conducted by Barbara Walters.  I was hopping, skipping and jumping from channel to channel.

I only know two theories:

Spoiler

Roy had a stroke and Mantecore carried him off stage so he could be helped.

OR

Roy was spending more time with a cub versus the time he spent with Mantecore which had Mantecore in his feelings.  Then Roy changed up some of the cues and Mantecore no likely so ......

Can you share the third version @Mz iMac  ?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I am just watching this now!   I'm so glad because, yesterday, I was going through the upcoming recordings for last night and almost deleted this 20/20 because it looked like a rerun and the guide data didn't say what it was about.   I had so many 2-3 hour shows recording that I was rather overwhelmed and I figured it was just some rerun of a crime I have probably seen at least once.

Something told me to keep it and I'm so glad I did!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I missed this, so thanks for posting about it.  Will catch it on Youtube.

I have seen their show a few times in Vegas.  It's amazing.  Will never forget during one show when both S&R are on stage and the lights went out.  When they came back on Siegfried was standing on our table!!  I remember right before the lights came on we heard a whoosing sound, but that was it.  Obviously we were shocked to see him on our table and he was laughing at the looks on our faces.    He didn't even knock over our drinks!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama  Mantecore missed his mark and was confused.  Roy kept hitting him on the side of his head w/microphone & repeating a 2nd/back up cue (hand in mouth) to get his attention.  Didn't work.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   I toggled back through when they were talking about

Spoiler

the origin of the white tiger with those distinctive stripes.  It all went back to one cat and my God when they talked about a white tiger born in a zoo (I think) and they flashed a picture of an inbred cat with a deformed mouth that was cockeyed, I got sick to my stomach and had to leave the program for good.  I wanted to cry for that cat.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Spoiler
S&R inbreeded all their white tigers.  Siegfried said they did "selective" inbreeding.  Now he did not explain that.  I took it to mean instead of brother & sister, mother & father, it was 2nd & 3rd cousins that were mated w/each other.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Spoiler
I know that for birds, in breeding and inline breeding (apparently 2 different things) is done to achieve spectacular racing pigeons.  Personally I don't dig that sport/hobby whatever you call it.  That said, those who have been at this for generations keep meticulous records and approach that type of breeding like a science.  Heck some of them could have degrees for all I know.  I know S&R like cats and that's cool.  That said, unless they have someone on staff who has the type of knowledge and experience that is similar to those people who carefully and strategically are trying to save species like the reticulated giraffe, they need to quit and stop doing that inbreeding.  These men are in their late 70's or early 80's.  If they really love these cats, they'd stop now so the cats don't outlive them and then God knows what will happen.   
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac : Thanks for info; I'll watch it today.  Btw: There was a Cinemax 3d movie about 15 years ago about Siegfried and Roy's story which was very good.  I remember that they met when they were working on a German cruise ship and one of them had a pet tiger cub.  I saw their Vegas show years ago and they were great!

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  I am going to watch the show again. 

Spoiler

I do not remember if it was said the inbreeding was done naturally or through artificial insemenation.  Maybe initially the inbreeding was done naturally? 

It was mentioned that all the white tigers in existence now are from a white tiger named Mohan.  He was captured as a cub by a Maharaja.  He was the first to sucessafully inbreed white tigers.  He mated Mohan w/his sister.  S&F learned the inbreeding technique from this Maharaja.