Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sidney Poitier dead at 94

Sad news to hear. He was a wonderful actor. I enjoyed his movies very much. 

Honored Contributor

A class act.

A tremendous body of work.

A loss to so many.

Peace to you & your family Mr. Poitier.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Sad. Just never realized he was 94!
Honored Contributor

Aww, we just watched him last week as an interviewee in Don Rickle's documentary, Mr. Warmth. 

Think this was filmed about 10 years ago.  He was up there in age, but still very handsome.

Respected Contributor

• I watched a little bit of a scene of his being made in Seattle 1965, The Slender Thread, not far from my apartment.  While in the city, he played a round of golf with my husband's aunt.  She always loved telling about that and we all took her word for it.  LOL
Honored Contributor

I'm learning so much from this thread! Of course I've seen his movies, but I also admire him so much for being such a nice person, like you said @Mmsfoxxie . As DH just said this evening, he wasn't one of those "mouthy Hollywood types." He was gracious. 

@NJ QVC Fan and @Free2be - you're so lucky to have that connection to him. What special memories!  

I would like to see The Defiant Ones, Lilies of the Field, and Raisin in the Sun. I don't think I ever saw They Call Me Mr. Tibbs! either. 

He truly was the perfect example of what an actor should be.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Not only a great actor but appeared to be a great person.  Never heard anything bad about him.  He knew how to get along to go along.  RIP, Mr Poitier.

@Mmsfoxxie   Do you mean other than his longtime affair with Diahann Carroll while he was married? Read her autobiography some time; he wasn't so nice. Great actor though

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Sidney Poitier was the first male of color to win the Academy Award for Best Actor in the 1963 film "Lilies of the Field".

I can still hear the song - "Amen" from that movie.

@Cakers3  Which he didn't sing, he lip synched. Our local ABC affiliate showed a clip of that scene in announcing his death and reported who actually did sing Amen in the film but since I didn't recognize the name I don't remember it.  I'm sure it's online somewhere with info about that film.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Not only a great actor but appeared to be a great person.  Never heard anything bad about him.  He knew how to get along to go along.  RIP, Mr Poitier.

@Mmsfoxxie   Do you mean other than his longtime affair with Diahann Carroll while he was married? Read her autobiography some time; he wasn't so nice. Great actor though

No, I didn't mean other than his longtime affair with Diahan Carroll.  You assume too much.  At the time I posted that, I wasn't aware of the affair.  Let's not be condescending and demeaning....to him OR me.  You could have tactfully put this in a different post separate from mine.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

A Superstar of the cinema in the truest sense of the word.  His body of work is spectacular and almost unparalleled. 

My favorite performance is in one of my most beloved films, "A Raisin in the Sun."  How fortunate movie fans are that the entire original Broadway cast transferred their searing, heart breaking work to the screen, for us to view time and again....which I do frequently.