Frequent Contributor

Re: Sidney Poitier dead at 94

So Sad - he was a great actor

I met him in person on my first day of work back in 1966.  I just started working at Columbia Pictures in NYC in the Publicity Dept as a secretary.  Sidney Poitier came up to the office to get ready to do magazine and TV interviews to promote "To Sir With Love".  All the secretaries and staff lined up to meet him and to get an autograph picture of him.  He was so gracious and kind.  I wish I still had the photo.  He was a great performer and a very nice person.

RIP

Esteemed Contributor

@NJ QVC Fan wrote:

So Sad - he was a great actor

I met him in person on my first day of work back in 1966.  I just started working at Columbia Pictures in NYC in the Publicity Dept as a secretary.  Sidney Poitier came up to the office to get ready to do magazine and TV interviews to promote "To Sir With Love".  All the secretaries and staff lined up to meet him and to get an autograph picture of him.  He was so gracious and kind.  I wish I still had the photo.  He was a great performer and a very nice person.

RIP

@NJ QVC Fan - Such a great memory to have of him!

Honored Contributor

Sidney Poitier was the first male of color to win the Academy Award for Best Actor in the 1963 film "Lilies of the Field".

I can still hear the song - "Amen" from that movie.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Rest In Peace GIF - Rip Candle 安息 - Discover & Share GIFs Rest In Peace Quotes, San Roman, Condolence Messages, Hippie Quotes, Sympathy Quotes, Grieving Quotes, Deepest Sympathy, 1 Gif, A New Hope

Honored Contributor

His talent and heart for his craft was unrivaled. He ushered in more inclusivity in Hollywood and refused to accept any roles that would portray a person of color in a demeaning way. He deserves an eternal standing ovation.  

Honored Contributor

Fantastic actor!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

In the Heat of the Night...such great acting in that movie!

Also liked him in "A Patch of Blue"...

Honored Contributor

A true Legend!!!!!! I just watched Guess Who's Coming to Dinner a couple of weeks ago again, I never tire of this movie, the acting is superb.....He was the consumate professional, his style will be missed! RIP Sir!

Frequent Contributor

Yes, so happy I met him.  I saw many of his movies and today learning about his death brought back many memories.

Honored Contributor

What a huge loss to the Hollywood community, and to all of us!!  To Sidney, With Love.