Esteemed Contributor

So sad.  Loved him in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and To Sir with Love.  A great actor.

R.I.P.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sidney Poitier dead at 94

I hadn't heard this yet. He was a great actor. My earliest memory of him was one of my history teachers showing us "A Raisin in the Sun" movie in class. He was one of the last of the real actors.

Honored Contributor

What a legacy he leaves behind.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

Also great in The Defiant Ones with Tony Curtis.  Both nominated for best actor.

RIP

Respected Contributor

Aw. Another one, gone. 94 is a good run. God Bless.

My mom always said, famous deaths happened in 3's. Betty White, Peter Bogdanovich, Sidney Poitier. She'd say "there's your third one."Anyway...not to be glib or anything on that note.

He always was such an elegant man, good actor, great voice. In my head I hear "They call me Mr. Tibbs!" Feel like watching one of his old movies now.

RIP 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember my mother taking me to see Lillies of the Field many years ago. A sweet story where he lit up the screen. He was mesmerizing.

A powerful, brilliant actor who owned the screen in each of the many and varied parts he portrayed.

The word that comes to mind when I think about Sidney Poitier is "dignified". To me he was the epitome of a gentleman and a scholor. Yet, he had a fire and a passion that burned  and seared. A bright light, extinguished far too soon.

He leaves an eduring legacy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not only a great actor but appeared to be a great person.  Never heard anything bad about him.  He knew how to get along to go along.  RIP, Mr Poitier.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@twinsister   I made a post in the Community chat. I apologize as I didn't see your post. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan - no need to apologize at all!  With so many categories to post in, I have done the same thing before too.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for this, @twinsister .   What a blow to the film community.  One of the greats.

My first thoughts are of his towering performance in "In the Heat of the Night".   He was such a presence, but had the ability to "rein it in",   while still suggesting reserves of great power and intensity.  That coiled intelligence, ready to be unleashed...

His death really makes me feel like an era is passing.  Just an explosive talent, and a forever enduring one.  RIP.