Respected Contributor

@Barbara-QVC  Thank you Barb!!!  I appreciate you putting Hooty's post back!

Have a great evening,

Cathy

Respected Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Jackhound Mom, please disregard some of the rude comments on here, most of us are just discussing our viewpoints about the "advertisements" not the organizations!!!

I love dogs, but it breaks my heart to see the ad by ASPA of those poor dogs shaking and basically dying from the cold or no food, I have to turn the channel.  I give to my local Humane Shelter.

As for the women in Israel or wherever they are (Holocaust survivors), we have homeless in our own country that are like this, JMHO!

@Hooty  Thank you!  I am in total agreement!

I respect your opinion!  Cathy

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom: Thank you for your kind words. I understand and agree with your opinion on the commercials. Except for very few commercials- I always change channels  when the commercials come on because some show or explain in to much details or some for me are just totally stupid and annoying and that is my opinion. We have purchased a lot of old tv series and movies and try not to watch regular tv. Love your dog. SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @Barbara-QVC

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4  They are no different than St. Jude.  Both of these hospitals help children that are poor and cannot afford healthcare they need.  If the commercials are bothersome, change the channel but they have to reach out for donations.  If it were your child that needed help you would feel differently.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee  Thank you for the compliment on my girl Brandie/Scooter!  She would love you too.

We "cut the cord" a few months ago and also watch so many old TV shows completly ad free so I guess I'm getting spoiled.  The one I posted about is on every break when we watch Frasier.  I had no idea as another poster stated that certian groups can do ads for free.  

Welcome!  It looks like we both joined in 2010.  I used to be a regular on a couple of threads and then took a few years off.  Same hurdles different year.  I hope to see you again and have fun.

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

Really?  Alec has osteogenesis imperfecta and has had over 70 broken bones.  He has been with Shriners from the beginning; he is 15 now and has had multiple surgeries at the hospital.  My friend worked there as a nurse and they do wonderful work free of charge.  They deal with very ill children who need sophisticated medical and tedious care.  All parents do not have the money for this care.  This young man will always appear small and look young.  He is quite sophisticated and hopes to become a sportscaster and has interviewed and became friends with prominent athletes.  He feels Shriners was always there for him and I feel the perfect spokesperson.  

To do this work, requires a phenomenal amount of money; the ads are probably free because it's a non profit organization.  Unlike the American Cancer Socierty, all the money goes toward the treatment of these children.  In many organizations like ACS, the bulk of the money goes to administrative fees or high executive salaries.  

As a young nurse, I sent burn cases to Shriners because they were one of the few burn units in the Country and the long term care of these children was free. 

I never forgot that....if Alec bothers you to the point that you write about it on a shopping network Board, well what does that say about humanity.....

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

Really?  Alec has osteogenesis imperfecta and has had over 70 broken bones.  He has been with Shriners from the beginning; he is 15 now and has had multiple surgeries at the hospital.  My friend worked there as a nurse and they do wonderful work free of charge.  They deal with very ill children who need sophisticated medical and tedious care.  All parents do not have the money for this care.  This young man will always appear small and look young.  He is quite sophisticated and hopes to become a sportscaster and has interviewed and became friends with prominent athletes.  He feels Shriners was always there for him and I feel the perfect spokesperson.  

To do this work, requires a phenomenal amount of money; the ads are probably free because it's a non profit organization.  Unlike the American Cancer Socierty, all the money goes toward the treatment of these children.  In many organizations like ACS, the bulk of the money goes to administrative fees or high executive salaries.  

As a young nurse, I sent burn cases to Shriners because they were one of the few burn units in the Country and the long term care of these children was free. 

I never forgot that....if Alec bothers you to the point that you write about it on a shopping network Board, well what does that say about humanity.....

@Stray Thank you for this. My friend's son is there and that is why up thread I posted what I did. I hope the OP understands why some of us felt this thread was insensitive or inappropriate. She called out some of us as the "gang" is all here. The mod removed it but it spoke volumes about the inability to be willing to understand why by a reduction in these ads it may directly affect the children who need the contributions for their long and difficult care plan.

Trusted Contributor

For years, I've worked closely with the marketing director of the nonprofit organization for which I work.  While I do not have a degree in this field, she does, and I've learned a lot from her.  One of the biggest things I learned is that timing and the intensity with which you push an event is very important.  If we have several things happening at once, she gets very frustrated, because she knows that the public gets annoyed if you overwhelm them with too much "stuff," because people get annoyed enough as it is that you're always asking them for money as a nonprofit.  Even releasing something on our Facebook page is carefully timed.  So, I understand, from experience, how even worthy causes can be annoying with their marketing techniques.  I don't think it's right for contributors to try to spank other contributors for expressing their annoyance about this.  People don't seem to be complaining about the organizations' needs, they seem to be complaining about how the organizations are poorly expressing those needs.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Stray Thank you for this. My friend's son is there and that is why up thread I posted what I did. I hope the OP understands why some of us felt this thread was insensitive or inappropriate. She called out some of us as the "gang" is all here. The mod removed it but it spoke volumes about the inability to be willing to understand why by a reduction in these ads it may directly affect the children who need the contributions for their long and difficult care plan.

@Trinity11- I guess people would rather see cute puppies, children being happy and healthy but that isn't reality.  There are things in life that are sad and children suffer from such terrible conditions.   My friend worked for Shriners until she passed with ALS but with every breath she had left, she worked for Shriners and loved the kids in her care.  These children are with Shriners for years like Alec who was in their system from birth.  I would watch Shriners 24/7 if it brought in any revenue.  These children are so sick and Shriners not only cares for them physically but psychologically.  They come out strong and independent as possible.  They have careers and are productive human beings.  When they use a computer, iPad or iPhone, it performs a vital function to them....they aren't spoiled self indulgent human beings.  It's commendable that this 15 year old, bright, articulate young child speaks for those who may never speak.

St Jude does excellent work but Shriners has been in it for many many years and they don't rely on a celebrity spokesperson; the children speak for themselves.  I sent kids there in the 60s! 

I've visited Shriners and your friend's son is in the best care.  It's truly inspirational to walk through Shriners and see these professionals helping kids wth heartbreaking conditions.   The people who work there love these children and the environment so unique, a special place.  If people are tired of seeing commercials, well...