Honored Contributor

Re: Shriner's Ads

[ Edited ]

Does anyone else get the Elana one for Comcast constantly? It's an Olympian named Elana looking at herself sledding on an iPad saying "Looking good Elana". I'm beyond annoyed with it.

Respected Contributor

I see alot for them and others...the dog one is on alot I do turn it off...I like the Shriners ones personally....the things those kids overcome WOW...

Honored Contributor

I think their work is important, but the ads just turn me off.  They are like the ads for animal abuse or the ads for feed the children.  Soapy music...sad pictures ...using chidren to beg for donations.  

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom I agree with you about the ads.  It probably is SOME of the shows you watch (we probably watch similar shows).

You don't see many ads during the evening hours.  It's like ads for animal shelters/prevent cruelty are on channels like where older and females often watch during the day.

I once did an article for the college newspaper about how ads are geared toward certain TARGET audiences.  Like you see very few car ads during the day and still we see ads for cleaning, etc.  Hard to believe in this day and age, yet it still is true.

You see very few vacation ads during the day, yet on the channels where they're on because of rich people donating money (forget what it's called) they run ads for cruises, etc.

My orthopedic surgeon told me he had to take out the home phone of his father (use the cell phone) because his dad got so many calls from people asking for donations and he always sent them money!

Trusted Contributor

It's not just that, they go on for ever.  I switch the channel, wait, go back, and it's still on!

Honored Contributor

I know I sound heartless and terrible, but I would think that little guy who does the talking would be older by now.

He looks like he hasn't aged at all.  I also agree that what they've overcome is amazing and I admire them and their families so much.

I do though keep thinking, "Just how much does each one of these ads cost".  They have to pay for those ads, they aren't free.  It's like the CEO's of some of these companies make lots and lots of money.

I have money taken out automatically every month from St Jude because my late husband used to donate to them so when he died I continued.  I periodically add to the amount each month.  I've read where all of the money goes toward helping children.

I donate quite a bit to local animal charities.  I leave to TO: blank and send it to friends.  THEY do volunteer work and decide where the money will go.

I go an amazing thank you note from a local animal help place thanking me for the donation (I didn't even know who it went to until they sent me the thank you).  She said the pit bull had been shot and left for dead.  The money went toward paying the vet bill and repairing the bone that was badly damaged.  This particular place helps unwanted pit bulls.

I donate to everything, but they're all (like I said local).  

I've started seeing a lot of ads for the Cancer Society.  I read that people aren't donating much to the Cancer Society because they've gotten bad press lately.  I have no idea if this is true.  Many other people donate to them, I prefer to donate locally.  To each his or her own.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's over the top - everybody begging for $$  and I understand the need - but we have to put food on our tables too.  Use to giggle at Alex - the primary young male in the wheelchair - - but now he's driven me to change the channel.

he looks like a kid, but, bet he isn't. Kid couldn't talk that well.

Honored Contributor

I don't like that Dove candy commercial showing this old wrinkled woman in her younger days, now, she's very wrinkled like one of

those shar pei dogs, but, her big treat is one piece of Dove chocolate.

ROFL

Trusted Contributor

What about the poor elderly ladies in Isreal?  Has anyone seen that?

It's heart breaking.  I had no idea there were all these elderly ladies in Isreal living in those aweful conditions.  Where are their children?

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

What about the poor elderly ladies in Isreal?  Has anyone seen that?

It's heart breaking.  I had no idea there were all these elderly ladies in Isreal living in those aweful conditions.  Where are their children?

@MarkeieMark  I found the commercial. Is this the one you saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuWZVp9YRU