Trusted Contributor

Shows featuring house flipping

Does anyone else get so mad at some of these flipping shows? It's maddening to see flippers cut corners to make more money on the resell or tear out original features in older homes to " modernize" adding cheaper options to make it look good but not caring how they hold up in the long run.
And some shows are so bad with design I'm left with my mouth hitting my chin on paint colors inside.
For example, Zombie House Flipping remodeled a mid century home with the entire inside done in black and white. EVERYTHING. Paint colors, countertops. It was a total eyesore when they were done. Every room was black and white in some combination.
The only TV show like these that I truly love is Restored with Brett Waterman. I think it's been cancelled during COVID because I only see reruns but he took a budget and truly restored older homes with quality materials and original historic design. Great show
Respected Contributor

Re: Shows featuring house flipping

flipping and restoring are totally different

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Trusted Contributor

I just watched an episode of ZHF and the kitchen floor was slightly off level. With original plaster walls, leveling the floors underneath the house properly would have taken a week and the other option was to use self leveling floor compound. They shimmed the floor cabinets, not kidding you. Too cheap to even use floor leveler which isn't expensive.

Wouldn't tear off the closed in porch to get that awesome craftsman look back on the front because they'd lose square footage on resale.

Makes me grit my teeth. I know it's different to remodel to resale than to remodel when owning but really most ppl would love that huge porch for outside living not to mention curb appeal.

Anyone of the same opinion?
Trusted Contributor

@memphisvette

I had no idea. I'll keep that in mind
Respected Contributor

The original Flip or Flop with Tarek and Christina addressed structural issues and remedied them. I did see them restore a 100 yr. old home, keeping the original doors and windows, and staying true to the integrity of the house. They discussed how they could not do the type of flip they typically do. The same was true for a Spanish style home in North Hollywood.

As for other flippers, I would never buy a house that is being flipped. I can almost be certain it is "lipstick on a pig." Most flippers put a large profit in their sales price which I can save doing updates myself.

Honored Contributor

When you watch a show with the title Zombie in it what do you expect?  You might consider other choices in your shows.

The flipping shows I watch they dont cut corners, nor chose ugly paint, etc.  All of the houses turn out beautiful.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

flipping and restoring are totally different

True.  Flippers often do work on-the-cheap.  They make the house or condo look pretty.  Buyers beware!

Honored Contributor

I would not buy a flipped home without a very serious inspection.   The whole point of flippers is different from that of restorers and even different from owners who want to know thw "lipstick" isn't hiding danger.

Buyers who have a high level of skill and strength should be able to save dollars even paying sellers something more than a flipper would.  I have neither, but if I vet whom I hire and make my own choices, I feel I'd have a far better chance of spending my dollars for long-lasting impreovwments.

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

I should be consider watching other shows 😀
*Sigh*

Please QVC mods: do me a favor - delete this thread.
Esteemed Contributor

@Midmod 

My husband is a builder.  A great one.  We built our brick Victorian home 30 years ago and it is still beautiful.

While I've never watched the show you mention, I can tell you his response at most of these programs.  "They don't know what they are doing."

The tearing out, tearing down, destruction, etc. seems to be done just for show.  Maybe some of these programs are accurate, but most aren't.