Honored Contributor

Showings of Titanic Tonight - Kinda Interesting

Two stations I get, both Showtime and E!, are showing the Winslet-DiCaprio version ot Titanic tonight.  If I wanted to see it again, which I don't, it would be a no-brainer channel choice.  Showtime will have no commercials, and E! will have about a thousand commercials, one every couple of minutes, and the film would take twice as long to watch.  

I just thought it was an interesting choice to make!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Showings of Titanic Tonight - Kinda Interesting

Once was enough.  I found the whole storyline about Winslet/DiCaprio excessively cloying and schmaltzy.

I even like Sarah Brightman's verson of the song better than Celine's.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I know that this movie doesn't seem to be popular around here at all, and that's ok, but I always liked it.  It was spectacularly done and I found it to be over all very good.

I've seen it a few times.   It is a fairly long one, though, so it's an investment in time for sure.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Once was enough for me. Could not sit through that bad acting again!

Honored Contributor

I only watch documentaries about it. There's still much to be learned.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I only watch documentaries about it. There's still much to be learned.

@SilleeMee  Not sure if you're a big reader but I've read several very interesting books about it including one about what happened to the first-class survivors as their lives went on and other books.  I can give you titles if you want.

Respected Contributor

I like the 1953 Titanic movie with Barbara Stanwyck, Clifton Webb and a very young Robert Wagner. 

The DiCaprio-Winslet movie is good, but just too long.

Honored Contributor

@dawglover @SilleeMee

This is a book that is fascinating:  "Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage:  The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and their World."  It is full of incredible stories.  I don't know how many times I cut through Harvard Yard passing Harvard's enormous library, the Widener Library, without ever knowing it was built by a woman who lost her husband and son to honor her son's love of books.  And you read about how Astor's widow was shunned by society.  And a ton of other stories of people who persisted and others who were broken by the tragedy.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@dawglover @SilleeMee

This is a book that is fascinating:  "Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage:  The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and their World."  It is full of incredible stories.  I don't know how many times I cut through Harvard Yard passing Harvard's enormous library, the Widener Library, without ever knowing it was built by a woman who lost her husband and son to honor her son's love of books.  And you read about how Astor's widow was shunned by society.  And a ton of other stories of people who persisted and others who were broken by the tragedy.

Thanks @LoriLori. Sounds very interesting. Will have to check it out.

Honored Contributor

On the Science Channel - 

"Titanic: The Last Secrets"
Unearthed episode (season 3, episode 14)

That one was aired Oct 4. It was very good and had some interesting perspectives on why the boat sank. @LoriLori