Honored Contributor

I really enjoy this show, it renews my faith in humanity that people will do the right thing. The segments that get to me the most ( and make me cry) when someone is being verbally or physically abusive to someone ( especially those with physical or mental challenges). Some might say don’t get involved it’s none of your business, I like to see that people stand up for strangers, and don’t turn a blind eye. I often wonder how I would handle these situations, I hope I would have the courage to stand up and say something.

Honored Contributor

Re: Show, What Would You Do?

@Jordan2 wrote:

I really enjoy this show, it renews my faith in humanity that people will do the right thing. The segments that get to me the most ( and make me cry) when someone is being verbally or physically abusive to someone ( especially those with physical or mental challenges). Some might say don’t get involved it’s none of your business, I like to see that people stand up for strangers, and don’t turn a blind eye. I often wonder how I would handle these situations, I hope I would have the courage to stand up and say something.

@Jordan2  I agree with you for the most part....but today "becoming involved"  can be dangerous.  A couple of weeks ago, a man tried to defend a homeless man being beaten for no reason on the streets of Seattle.  The two men beating on the homeless man turned on to the " Do Gooder"  and with a HATCHET hit him several times almost killing him...chopping him up.

He just wanted to help to GET INVOLVED and  ended up almost dead and in the hospital.

i think that the idea to get involved  sounds nice, but, today it really is s not a safe thing to do. Call the police to help out. 

Honored Contributor

That is one show I can't watch.  People don't act like that out in public.

I'd be one of the one's who'd jump in in a minute.  I have done things like that before when people park in wheelchair without a sticker and several other scenarios.

However, there aren't many people who would talk to other's the way these people do on TV.  

I'm nor saying there aren't people who are rude to each other and say stupid things, I am saying that people don't talk to each other loudly like that (just waiting for other's to come up and chastise them).

It's just too 'bleeding heart' for me.  For one thing most people are too involved with their phones, etc to notice what other's are doing.  

I will sit and watch a little of everything, but that one show I can't watch because it's all set up.

More than one time I've embarrassed my friend because I've said something (like I mentioned).  However, these things on TV on this show are just set ups.

My friend keeps telling me I need to be careful about approaching others.  

I wouldn't care if a person was speaking Spanish or any language.  For all the other's know they are trying to get the person used to learning the language.  Like I said, I think it's a set up.

I see people all of the time butting in line, doing things, taking advantage of others and everyone just ignores them.  But I've never seen anyone say anything about some of these set up and people just ignore them.

I recently saw on TV kids teasing other children and FINALLY an adult spoke up and went to THEIR parents.  The parents talked to the children and nipped it in the bud (ignorance).  Now that kind of thing I've seen before.  But some of this stuff is ....

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2    I read this thread a couple of days and hoped that someone would return it to a thread about the goodness of others. This morning I asked myself: Why are you waiting for someone else? What's wrong with you?

I do agree with @SeaMaiden  -  sometimes you have to think before jumping in. I am frequently appalled at the language that I hear tweens/teens use when they are in public. Years ago I would have said something to them but after witnessing groups going off on others who have done that, I re-think and try to use my judgement before commenting.

Like you the segments that affect me the most are the ones when someone with a disability is the target. That's personal for me.

I do watch and enjoy this show.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I do not care for this type of show. I don't like that they try and "set up" a scenario. 

MTV has a similar show. They are trying to get a certain response. And the rest of the cast is in the background laughing at the situation and the people. 

People want to just go about their lives. They don't need TV shows trying to add drama for the sake of entertainment.

Honored Contributor

I use to watch it often but no longer watch.

My husband really dislikes shows like this. He said it is fake situations that just cause people to think negatively when the situation isn't even real. 

We have enough mean people and hatred in the world without fake situations and adding to it.

There is plenty of negativity to watch every day on the news.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm a goody two shoes, but I give the producers of the show the benefit of the doubt that nothing is set up. I am sure they probably pick the positive reactions rather than the negative. I do like to think there is decency and goodness in most people.

Honored Contributor

I have been watching the new season of the show. I can't believe after all this time, people seem to not know who John Quinones is or don't know the show, they always seem surprised. I keep thinking one day someone will get mad and punch him in the face! I often wonder if I would have the courage to speak up on behalf of someone or stay silent, I hope I would speak up.

Honored Contributor

I watch that show every week.  It always makes me cry.  I absolutely do not think it's set up.  I try to imagine what I would do, and I hope I would say something.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I watch the show sometimes. I don't think the  jerks would be as obvious and persist in converations for as long as they do in real life. As has been pointed out here it could be dangerous in some instances to speak to the kind of person being a jerk . They could easily have a weapon. Of course there are times when you just have to speak up to defend someone being bullied .

Like another poster stated it would be tempting to 'punch' John Quionnes (sp?) or at least express some sort of anger when you found out it was all an act and you  got so emotionally involved for a tv show.