Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Just no. How many competition shows do the networks really need to throw out there, simply because they can't seem to come up with anything else... They're probably also cheap to produce... 

I find this one different and interesting!

Valued Contributor

Did anyone watch last night with Will i am? I guess that's how you spell it??? Anyways,it was really good. It's amazing what talented people can do with music on the spot. I won't reveal the end but it was great. 

Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

Did anyone watch last night with Will i am? I guess that's how you spell it??? Anyways,it was really good. It's amazing what talented people can do with music on the spot. I won't reveal the end but it was great. 

Spoiler

@Estates   I liked last night's episode, too.  

Spoiler
I liked that he was going to use all three songs on the Black Eyed Peas' next album.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

I watched last night. What I don't like about the show is they take a song and then make major changes to it. If you are the songwriter you're not going to object (even if you don't like the changes) because it's your big break. I find that most of the songwriters are also good singers, which isn't always the case (Burt Bacharach).

Honored Contributor

Don't the rest of the BEP's get a say in what goes on their next album?  I thought that was odd.

If you listen to any songwriter, they will tell you they start with an idea and by the time it ends up on the album, it's a completely different song.

That's pretty standard.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Changes are made all the time to songs and lyrics to fit the artist.

There is a story from George Strait about the song Blue Clear Sky.  He called the songwriter to change it to Clear Blue Sky and the songwriter said it's from Forrest Gump and that's where the idea came from, so it stayed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

@Jordan2  The songs didn't seem as drastically revamped as they were last week. 

Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

@Jordan2  The songs didn't seem as drastically revamped as they were last week. 

Last week there was a guy who wrote a country song, I liked it. He didn't get picked as one of the three songwriters going forward. The show should match up the songwriters and artists better. John Legend was never going to pick a country song, it just isn't in his wheelhouse.

Super Contributor

I've watched the first two episodes (John Legend and Will.I.Am), and so far I'm a fan of part of the show.  I don't like the middle part of the hour, where the songwriter is working with the producer on his/her song, so I FF thru that.

it's my understanding that the recording artist will change each week, but the three producers remain static.

Like another poster said, I don't  know why they would have had a country music singer 'pitch' to Legend.  Judging by the previews, Old Dominion will be one of the featured artists (I love them!), so why didn't they have the country on singer on THAT episode?

I typically hate talent shows.  They are too glitzy and shrill for me.  WAAAAY overproduced, in my opinion.  I have seen maybe 3 episides (collectively) of Idol, AGT, or any show where the public votes (I don't actually believe the viewing public's voting is even recorded, let alone has any effect on the outcome).  This show is different.  Downright sedate compared to the others.

It is jarring to see how much the original song changes, though, from the songwriter's initial pitch.  Many songs are virtually unrecognizable, but I guess that's what you do, if you want to be recorded.

Trusted Contributor

I like this show. I find it fascinating the way they can write music and songs.

I think that the song Will.i.am chose was better when it was first presented by the writer.

I liked also how he gave all three a spot on his album.

Also I am a fan of One Republic and Ryan Teter.