Honored Contributor

I watched some of it, and was so surprised that a song is changed so much.  I thought a songwriter presented the song to whomever, and if they liked it, that was it.

Valued Contributor

@NickNack  HI,I guess I'm more a ballad lover. And I wondered why the country guy was there? I liked that song and imagine someone will scoop it up. 

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I watched it.  I must have missed the explanation of how it will work, though.  Will the target judge change with each show or will it always be John Legend?  Several of his comments about the songs were things like "it didn't seem to be a song that fit my normal style" or "that's just what kind of music I do sing so I'm all on board with this one." 

If that's the case, I hope they told all of the applicants because otherwise, unless you show up with a song that falls under the typical John Legend category, you are out of luck.

@santorini   That person changes each week.  Next week it will be Will I. Am.  Meghan Trainor will be on one week.  They've named a lot of people.  It should be a good show I think.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

@NickNack  HI,I guess I'm more a ballad lover. And I wondered why the country guy was there? I liked that song and imagine someone will scoop it up. 

@Estates   I liked that song, too, and wondered why they chose the week with John Legend for that guy to be there.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I checked out iTunes a little while ago and the song was at number ten. I liked the song that the country songwriter played, he was at a disadvantage as John wasn't ever going to choose that song, it's not his genre. It seems that every week will have a different artist choosing a song, I'm guessing the panel of songwriters will remain the same (or not).

Honored Contributor

Re: Show: Songland

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I checked out iTunes a little while ago and the song was at number ten. I liked the song that the country songwriter played, he was at a disadvantage as John wasn't ever going to choose that song, it's not his genre. It seems that every week will have a different artist choosing a song, I'm guessing the panel of songwriters will remain the same (or not).

@Jordan2   That song is #10 overall, but no. 1 on the R&B Chart.  I just went to You Tube and listened to it.  I do like the song.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Just no. How many competition shows do the networks really need to throw out there, simply because they can't seem to come up with anything else... They're probably also cheap to produce... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I thought that the songwriters/producers were very respectful of the songwriter and their song, especially Shane McAnaly.  I think that songwriting is much more colaborative than we realize.  I listen to Shane McAnaly's show on Sirius/XM and songwriting is very colaborative in Nashville.  They book writing appointments with people and groups of people show up in a house and they write for 2 days.  

There's also a fair amount of rewriting/arranging done in the studio while a song is being recorded.

Even Elton takes Bernie's yellow pad of lyrics and rearranges the paragraphs, cuts out paragraphs and bangs out the melody.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

TOO many competition shows, too many reality shows!! Not watching any of them.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

I liked this show SO much better than i thought i would!  They were all so talented and interesting.