Honored Contributor

Anyone watch the show last night, it premiered after America’s Got Talent? I thought it was so so, I’ll give it another chance.

Esteemed Contributor

I opted not to.  Kind of on overload with these type of shows. 

Trusted Contributor

I decided to skip this one also.  From previews it indicated that there will be no audience voting, etc.

Maybe the concept of this show will be good, but I enjoy participation and "The Voice" is the only one I enjoy.  I do DVR so I can skip through a lot though.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched.  I thought it was pretty good but, then again, I fast forwarded through a lot of it.  I really liked three of the songs.  The one that won is the one I didn't like.  

Trusted Contributor

I started out with it but it did not hold my attention.  I did tune back in at the end, only to see it was saying if you wanted to hear the winning song in full, you needed to download it.  Is the sole purpose of this show to sell downloads...what a rip off.  I saw that Adam Levine is an executive producer - since he is on the outs with NBC these days I doubt it will get renewed...for a variety of reasons.  I likely will not tune in again.  It lacks spark and I don't like the concept of an hour show and then you need to download to hear the winner's song.  Why do TV & radio shows want to drive their listeners/viewers away to a different format?????  So many do it these days.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I watched it live (something I never do because I hate commercials, hence I DVR everything).

I loved this show.  I enjoy John Legend so that's what made me interested in the first place.

Music was a very large part of my life with my late husband.  We met at a dance and danced our way through 38 years.  Ha!

Anyway, I enjoy all about music but I've never known much about 'the process'.  

I think this show pulls away some of the unknown or (for want of a better word...mystery) about a song (i.e. the process it takes from beginning to end).

I find it fascinating the way words and a melody can be taken and changed around to make something that will affect people.

Music really affects me.  I know people who don't care one way or another...I'm definitely not one of them.

I hope the show becomes a hit because I enjoyed everything about it.

Afterward, I went on YouTube and listened to John Legend sing the finished product.

It was OK in my opinion but not one of my favorites.  I like the song the first participant sang and wrote.  I thought that sounded way more like a John Legend song (especially after it was reworked).

My guess is that some of those songs that weren't picked would be picked up by other singers and we'll be hearing them at some later time.

Thanks for bringing this up to the forum.  

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed this show.  I liked all of the songs.  The song he chose was my least favorite in the original version.  I did like the way it was reworked.  I hope other singers will see the show and decide to sing the other songs.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I enjoyed it. It was interesting to see that aspect of a song. I was astonished that they took the first song and completely change it.It was a nice ballad made into a techno pop song. They even changed the title. Huh? I thought John would go the for Olliie(sp)'s song. It seemed more his style. And the song chosen was completely changed too. I guess they don't mind. Like I said,I found it different.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

I enjoyed it. It was interesting to see that aspect of a song. I was astonished that they took the first song and completely change it.It was a nice ballad made into a techno pop song. They even changed the title. Huh? I thought John would go the for Olliie(sp)'s song. It seemed more his style. And the song chosen was completely changed too. I guess they don't mind. Like I said,I found it different.

@Estates   I thought the first song sounded like something that Ryan Tedder/One Republic might sing.  I liked the way he changed it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I watched it.  I must have missed the explanation of how it will work, though.  Will the target judge change with each show or will it always be John Legend?  Several of his comments about the songs were things like "it didn't seem to be a song that fit my normal style" or "that's just what kind of music I do sing so I'm all on board with this one." 

If that's the case, I hope they told all of the applicants because otherwise, unless you show up with a song that falls under the typical John Legend category, you are out of luck.