Respected Contributor

Re: Should Ellen DeGeneres Leave Her Show?

Too bad

Looks like Ellen degenerated

Valued Contributor

It is well known that the type of ego-driven personality that claws its way to the top usually has a host of quirks to go along with it- especially entitlement. I know from a close relative who worked with Barbra Streisand that she was a monster behind the scenes. The incident that really took it over the top for my relative was when Streisand barked at her assistant to go get her a tuna sandwich. The assistant came rushing back with the sandwich. When Streisand looked at it she screamed "I wanted whole wheat" and she slapped the assistant across the face- in a room packed full of people. According to my relative, of all the stars she worked with, 99% of the men were kind, and 99% of the women were b***hs.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if any advertisers have abandoned the show due to the current investigation. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago,I noticed that Ellen had a bit of a sadistic streak. Her quiz show demonstrates it quite clearly, I stopped watching her a long time ago. I appreciate her charitable side but that cruelty streak turns me off.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

Ellen should leave her show because a few people are saying she isn't nice?  From what I've read, the accusations regard her employees and that she was aware of problems that continued to create more problems.  There have been old whispers about her personally, people nipping at her around the edges.  Employees have the right to sue for a hostile work environment.  If this is the complaint, it should be handled that way preferably.  The other way is by a loss of corporate sponsorship.  A public whipping by know-nothings about the nitty gritty particulars is not nice.

Also, earlier in this thread Ellen was criticized for not speaking to a guest prior to their interview.  It's common knowledge that people who interview never want to speak to the guest prior because they want a fresh interview.  They won't even speak during commercial breaks.  I thought everyone knew that. 

Ellen will decide what to do about this with the advice of her sponsors, her team, and no doubt, attorneys.  She's done far more good than any feelings she has hurt but some people will always go for the hurt and do what they can to make more of it.

@Free2be  She has lived in the Los Angeles area for about 20 years and in that time has observed along with the rest of us, the filthy conditions on the streets from the homeless living there as well as going to the bathroom in public on the sidewalk.  All of Ellen's silly tv pranks, money hand outs to contestants or gifts to the audience, would have served the community much better if she championed that.  But apparently, she doesn't care that within a few miles from her is filth and people living in dire conditions that clearly need help.  With all her millions plus influence she couldn't help to ameliorate the situation?  I beg to differ. 

Respected Contributor

I imagine there are quite a few ‘celebrities’ on t.v. who are diffucult to work with.   I had heard gossip that Ellen was ‘difficult’ - also heard the same stories about Rachael Ray.

Having worked with some famous bands you would be amazed how three major names treated their workers e.g,  ‘When I walk through all face the wall, no-one to look at me’  or  ‘one of you go to stage door bring me in two bimbos now’  ‘make sure my chair is polished before I sit’ etc., etc,  some ‘orders’ quite unbelievable but once in stage all great and still have huge followings.  

Hopefully with time and experience these ‘stars’ mellow and remember without their workers they won’t get far.

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

It is well known that the type of ego-driven personality that claws its way to the top usually has a host of quirks to go along with it- especially entitlement. I know from a close relative who worked with Barbra Streisand that she was a monster behind the scenes. The incident that really took it over the top for my relative was when Streisand barked at her assistant to go get her a tuna sandwich. The assistant came rushing back with the sandwich. When Streisand looked at it she screamed "I wanted whole wheat" and she slapped the assistant across the face- in a room packed full of people. According to my relative, of all the stars she worked with, 99% of the men were kind, and 99% of the women were b***hs.

I've heard many stories of how difficult Barbra Streisand could be with her staff and others but that goes above and beyond arrogant.    She actually could be charged with assault.  

In Kathy Levine's first book she wrote about how many times people would tell her how much she looked like BS and how much she admired her.   Kathy was so excited when Barbra was scheduled to appear on QVC to sell some item.  I can't remember what it was now.  I don't think Barbra showed up but her representative did.  

After the show Kathy went up to the rep to tell how much she liked Barbra and how many people thought they resembled each other. She said the rep looked at her like she was beneath her and said you don't look anything like Barbra and then she snubbed her.   

In her book, Kathy said she never blamed Barbra but after that experience she never quite felt the same about her.   

I guess the saying never meet your idols applies to many of the celebrities and apparently also to those who represent them.   

I can easily believe that your relative found the male stars to be kinder.  I wish many of these celebrities would remember without their fans they wouldn't be where they are.  

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@songbird wrote:

This will probably boil over in to nothing.  And her show will continue to be as always.  she's had that nasty reputation to work for for a long time.  But she still remains popular.  Don't see her leaving or changing the show.  She's a powerful individual in Hollywood.  She has a lot of clout.

Apparently not enough clout to get the homeless off the streets of Los Angeles or clean up the human feces on the sidewalk.  This terrible situation has gotten worse from the pandemic that has resulted in even more homelessness.  

More serious are the homeless in San Francisco.  Yes, they have very good jobs, but can't afford a decent home.  Homes in all of California are way out of reach of middle class.  These homesless sleep on the subway.  Go to public showers to present themselves in the morning to go to work. And yes, they work in the IT industry. 

Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove   You might also consider that there are many multiple billionaires residing in LA who you could also hold accountable to fix LA's homeless problem, as long as you are at it.  You can't be serious that any one person can fix a systemic problem of decades with a few million dollars or that it is Ellen's obligation to do just that and because she hasn't, that she is at fault.  But I will take you at your word.

As if there aren't enough challenges going on right now.  I think Ellen will come through this as best she can.  I hope a lot of people don't lose work and their work life with the show, should it continue, is satisfying.    

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@germanshepherdlove   

You might also consider that there are many multiple billionaires residing in LA who you could also hold accountable to fix LA's homeless problem, as long as you are at it.  You can't be serious that any one person can fix a systemic problem of decades with a few million dollars or that it is Ellen's obligation to do just that and because she hasn't, that she is at fault.  But I will take you at your word.

As if there aren't enough challenges going on right now.  I think Ellen will come through this as best she can.  I hope a lot of people don't lose work and their work life with the show, should it continue, is satisfying.    

@Free2be    @germanshepherdlove

ITA ....  Not an Ellen fan, but you can't hold one person accountable for not fixing the homeless problem, regardless of how much money they have.