Honored Contributor

Re: Should Ellen DeGeneres Leave Her Show?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The fact is, there are unpleasant people in any job. Last I looked, being nice wasn't a criteria for working, though maybe being at least civil should be. I don't care if she stays or goes, as I don't watch her shows. She's been successful for a variety of reasons, and I have, at times, enjoyed her but I also wouldn't miss her presence on television.

@stevieb  I don't know. It has been sounding more and more for the past few years that it's gone beyond just being unpleasant and not nice. It sounds more like she is treating people like ---t.  

And I think she is one of the funniest people ever.

@proudlyfromNJ  If true then it sounds like she's due a comeuppance... Like I said, though, I don't really have a dog in this race... Don't love her, don't hate her, don't watch her... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Yes I did read your post and I don't watch her show either. But the "be kind" thing has been mentioned on this thread so perhaps you didn't read the entire thread. @stevieb
Trusted Contributor

I have heard these stories about Ellen for many years. i also don't like that game show she has on where she enjoys terrifying people (although they sign up for it). I think she truly has a very mean streak.

But, there are stories about many "stars" and their behaviors and how their managers cover it up. I am glad that some of this is not being tolerated anymore. I think she should resign AND pay her staff and the crew for at least a full year since she destroyed their livlihoods.

The same thing has happened to Lea Michele after YEARS of reports of how terrible she was to work with beginning as a child on Broadway. She made many people's lives on Glee miserable and I think she even got Diana Agron kicked off the show. Now, that is comig out as well. She made a non-apology apolgy, just like Ellen did, but people saw right through that, too.

Honored Contributor

If Ellen is that mean it kind of makes me wonder how Portia De Rossi has stuck it out with her for this long.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
If Ellen is that mean it kind of makes me wonder how Portia De Rossi has stuck it out with her for this long.

@Pearlee   I don't know who Portia is, but maybe she is the same type as Ellen??

Super Contributor

I have really enjoyed reading all of these replies.  Recently I have been hearing so much about the "cancelling culture."  This thread is a perfect example of this trend in society.  The problem is, if we start cancelling people because they are "mean" half of society will be cancelled.  

Respected Contributor

I believe Ellen's time has come and gone.

Honored Contributor

@Kcubed. This is certainly not meant as a cancel culture thread. Ellen can be as mean as she wants to but then don't tout kindness and "do as I say, not as I do." And the buck stops with her -- don't put the blame on the producers as she did. I suggested people not watch this hypocrite, have her ratings tank, and then she is gone.
Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pearlee   I don't know who Portia is, but maybe she is the same type as Ellen??

Portia. is the wife, hisband. or what ever. It's called money, who ever heard of Portia, before she married Ellen.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@HLP. @Patriot3

Portia was in the cast of the TV show Alley McBeal. HLP, yes people had heard of her before she started dating Ellen. Granted, you may not have.