Honored Contributor

Re: Should Ellen DeGeneres Leave Her Show?

@Kachina624 wrote:

I admittedly have never sat and watched one of Ellen's show just bits and pieces from ads and promos and occasionally hesitating to watch a minute, so maybe I've misinterpreted what I've seen.  It does seem to me like she has a mean, sadistic streak, so I wasn't surprised at the recent revelations about the behind-the-scenes on her show.

I think perhaps the show has run its course and it's time to pull the plug.

lol. I am agreeing with you on something :-)

Honored Contributor

Anyone going on her game show knows full well what it is about and agree to it or they would not be there.  I find it a fun show.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear I agree.  She often seemed to take great pleasure in some of her audience making absolute fools of themselves.  Almost "sadistic", IMHO.  I stopped watching her long ago because of stuff like that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

She will probably just quit. Someone is always trying to bring down someone who is riding the wave of popularity......look at a Oprah. Same type of things have been said about her over the years. 

Ellen is filthy rich....does not need the show.  She is probably tired anyway. 

@SeaMaiden 

Oprah IS a real nasty Jeckyl and Hyde and also known to be less than nice to underlings.  However, Oprah was smart enough to have strict  Non-Disclosure (secrecy) agreement clauses in her employees' employment contracts, so even if something was very wrong, they'd be out millions in legal fees if they talked abouot it.  If you want to work for Oprah, be prepared to keep your mouth shut, or be destroyed financially.   

Brad Garrett is right ... it is common knowledge about Ellen's behavior.

So .......  IMO  the real question here is ....  How much weight should a TV personality's personal behavior have on programming decisions?   Is there something in Ellen's contract that she has violated?  If so, what was it?

Back in the day, film stars had "morals clauses" in their contracts.  This allowed studios to dump a star for bad behavior.   I've read that a version of that still exists. 

While some people would like to think that any entertainer's nice on air persona is exactly who the person is IRL,  it simply isn't true.  For that matter, there are people running companies all over the world that aren't nice people.  Manufacturing, law firms, etc etc.   It's not just the entertainment industry. 

Honored Contributor

Complaints have come up from time to time for years.  I can't believe they are all false.  I guess if Ellen can't acknowledge there are issues, perhaps she should retire her show.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If/When the advertiser dollars dry up, it will be time to replace her.  I've never seen her show.

Esteemed Contributor

While I never watched her show on a daily basis I got the impression she had a mean streak.

A 62 yr. old woman that takes absolute delight in scaring people by having someone jump out at them or sneak up on them is sadistic.  Sarah Paulson evidently was a victim of that more than once. One day she was on the floor.she appeared to be near tears.

That is not funny.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, her show should be cancelled.

I'm not surprised that she's a *itch.

I used to watch her sit-com, then after a while, it just wasn't funny anymore.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44. If she is a big hypocrite about telling people to be kind all the time on the air and being nasty and mean in her personal.life people should stop watching the show and it should end when her rating tank.
Esteemed Contributor

I guess my question is, why would a woman who has all that money, fame, and power be mean, miserable, and a nightmare to work with?  You'd think she'd be the happiest person alive.  Be grateful, be kind, be good to others.  Boggles my mind.