Honored Contributor

Re: Shannon Doherty Stage 4 cancer

@blackhole99 wrote:

Doesn't Dana from Perricone have stage 4 breast cancer? Like they say, everyone knows someone who has cancer. My BIL has prostate cancer end stage and my aunt had breast cancer.

@blackhole99, yes.  She was diagnosed in the fall of 2015.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How awful to point fingers at anyone regarding this scourge. Research has come a long way and are continuing to make inroads..I for one am appreciative ,they have devoted their life to this work

Anyone suffering has my sincerest sympathy ,and  prayers that a cure will come in time for all those suffering right now.

My husband is a cancer survivor, is brother an father were not

Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

For 2020, it's estimated that 42,170 women and 500 men will perish from breast cancer. I've a suspicion, that if these numbers were reversed, we'd be seeing more aggressive action. 

So far we have a slight decrease in deaths, but only because of earlier detection, with prompt treatments.

I had a friend who was clear for a few years, but then rebounded rather quickly into Stage 4.  At this stage, treatment is grueling, with poor prognosis.  She refused, passing in hospice, donating her body to science, for the cause.  

Shannon's situation saddens me.  It's heartbreaking when hearing anyone will have to face this. 

I have no understanding about how this can be serious but I guess we need to get some man bashing in.

Breast cancer probably gets more attention than any other cancer out there and there have been great strides in research and treatment.

Give me a call when we have bladder cancer month and it's such a big deal that companies are willing to use it as a promotional tool. My boyfriend died from that vicious cancer ironically enough during breast cancer awareness month.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

How sad.

Everyone knows that cancer is complex; there's nothing profound about that observation. Interestingly, the cancer "machine" assumes we know nothing about the disease, often pointing to childhood cancer breakthroughs as proof of progress. Childhood cancers reflect an entirely different etiology. I guess we're not supposed to know that.

Poisoning, cutting, and burning, still remain the main, barbaric "treatments" for cancer. For all the "pinking," the campaigns, the t-shirts, the walks (a local PHYSICIAN wrote a LTE years ago, that "they might as well be walking backwards"), we are no closer to a cure.

The fact is that any advances claimed are nowhere near commensurate with the billions of dollars spent researching this disease (or others, for that matter). Cancer--from diagnosis to treatment--is a big business. Don't remind me of the airhead Jeopardy contestant who, duriing the interview segment, described her research job, flippantly saying, "We look for a cure for cancer!" Yeah, it's just another 9-5 job, Toots. Should a cure EVER be found, it'll be by a kid in his basement.

A cure for this rotten disease will elude us as long as it remains more profitable to LOOK for a cure than to FIND one.

Believe it.

@Moonlady @Your post makes a lot of sense and I agree with you.   I also have  felt for sone  time now that there are cures that hsve been found by scientists ,   But are kept under wraps as it isnt profitable for drug companies and even the scientists working on these cures as they would not have that job .   I know that sounds cynical ,  but all these millions and millions being spent on research and decades spent still no real cure.  I'm not saying we haven't seen more break throughs on various cancers and lives being saved ,  but why not the  actual preventive injection or pill so we never even get cancer 🤔

Honored Contributor

A lot of people don't understand that cancer isn't a foreign thing invading your body. It's literally your own cells that have gone out of control. It's not a bacteria or virus, but your own cells that are causing the problem. Killing cancer is incredibly easy. Most poisons that are toxic to humans will kill cancer. It's not superhuman. The problem is you also kill the person with cancer. Finding something that just kills the bad cells, those out of control is the challenge, and it's far from easy.

Chemo and radiation attack cancer by targeting faster-growing cells. Anti-angiogenesis drugs try to cut off the blood supply to cancerous tumors to starve them. Very often the only difference between a cancerous cell and a "normal" cell is something that's deep inside the cell. A variation in the DNA that causes the cell to reproduce without checks. Finding a way to target cancerous cells is not easy since they often look like "normal" cells. They just grow really fast and in the wrong places.

Imagine yourself looking over boxes on a conveyor belt moving past you. Every box looks the same to you, but inside a few boxes is something bad instead of something good. Your job is to find those bad boxes and remove them before they get out. But, how do you know which ones are bad? How do you manage to identify them and then remove them? Do you destroy every box to ensure nothing bad gets through?

To truly fight cancer you have to find a way to kill yourself that kills the cancerous cells before they kill you. Since both the cancerous cells and normal cells are nearly identical, it's more than a small challenge. You can't just tear open every cell in your body and examine the DNA to find the bad ones. Doing so would kill you. 

An old hematologist of mine said that everyone has cancerous cells popping up, likely on a daily basis, but the vast majority of the time the body identifies them and removes them before they can cause any trouble. As we get older our immune systems wear down and from time to time one of those cancerous cells that might have been destroyed easily forty years ago takes root and starts to grow. Why didn't the body recognize it before it could take root? Was the immune system busy fighting off a virus or bacteria? Was the immune system just worn down? Did this particular cell just avoid detection for whatever reason and now that it's out of control it's growing too fast to contain? 

Killing cancer isn't nearly as easy as a lot of people like to think it should be. A whole lot of people have devoted their lives to trying to find an answer only to discover that there's no easy answer. I've always been intrigued by the idea of using another person's (or animal's) immune system to attack cancer. If you transplant someone's cancerous tumor into another being, that being's immune system would recognize it as being foreign and attack it. Could you then harvest their antibodies to that tumor and use them to fight the tumor in the original patient? Or would those antibodies also latch onto the noncancerous cells in the patient's body and destroy them?

In a perfect world, you could develop cancer-specific antibodies that would only target cancer cells. Some progress has been made in that regard. It may be possible at some point to immunize people against certain cancers. We're just not there yet and it's not because the "cancer industry" is protecting itself. It's because this is a very, very challenging puzzle to solve. You have two things (normal cell and cancerous cell) that look alike from the outside, but one will kill you and one is needed to survive. Determining which is which, is a challenge that modern medicine is desperately trying to unravel. It's a massive challenge.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Telomeres & cancer

Shortened telomeres is associated with aging, cancer & ultimately death

The goal is keep the telomeres long.

How?  Less stress, exercising, proper diet.

By the time it reaches Stage 4, it might be too late. 

Just Google for more information.

The power can be given back to the patient.