Respected Contributor

Re: Shannon Doherty Stage 4 cancer

@x Hedge ❤️🌷🙏

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

There's a lot of answers here from people who've never sat in the oncologist's office discussing what's killing them.

Mine is classed as both rare and aggressive. Little is known about this type, so of course we are the guinea pigs. Oncologists gather data from us to learn about this type of cancer.

Standard anti cancer radiation doesn't effect it. Fortunately, not long before I was diagnosed, a pharmaceutical house developed the treatment I take. Another treatment med has been developed in the last few years.

We can't stop this cancer. These treatments only interfere with cancer's ability to reproduce and overwhelm the body.

Those who came before me with this type had no treatment option and less reason for hope than I have.

@_______, you can go sit in the corner.  

i just got home from my monthly oncology visit and treatment.  I speak from experience also.

I have metastatic breat cancer. Diagnosed a little over 4 years ago Lucky for me, the metastes are in my bones instead of my organs.  Very treatable, but not curable. Mine was a rare type that never actually affected my breasts, but went straight to the bones. Stage 4 at first diagnosis.

Less than 20 years ago, I wold have been dead by now. Treatment has come a long way and is less grueling than it was years ago.

As others have said, cancer is a complex disease and there is no one size fits all cure-wise. 

Honored Contributor

I like that Shannon said it was important for her to work after being diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer.  So many people think that when you are diagnosed, you just wait to die.  I have read some not to nice posts on this board about Dana from Perricone and her "supposed" cancer because people don't think she should look that good and have cancer.  

I have a relative who has been battling metastatic breast cancer for almost 12 years now.  Basically they are chasing it all over her body.  It started in 1 breast, then went to the other, is in her bones, her brain and her lungs.  She still plugs along and anyone from the outside looking in wouldn't know she was ill.  Yes she has bad days, really, really bad days, but she has 4 children and that's why she puts herself through what she does with treatment.    

Respected Contributor

scientists and researchers and their loved ones are dying of cancer, too. i think they are trying to find a cure but there are so many variables, it's an uphill battle. progress is being made. money doesn't cure everything.

Honored Contributor

I feel for her.  That's a tough diagnosis.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

They need to find a blood test that works to detect cancers.  Part of the problem is that there are very few screening tests for cancer.  People don't know they have it until they have a problem and often times once there are syptoms, the cancer is too far progressed to respond to treatment.  

If they could develop a blood test that was part of our routine yearly physical, I believe strides would be made in treatments.

@Lipstickdiva 

There is a test for Prostate cancer, PSA.

There is also a blood test for Ovarian cancer.  May only be for high risk.

May be more, I don’t know.

As someone mentioned, another problem is ‘wait and see’, or alternative medicine.  Steve Jobs, who could have afforded most any type of care, said shortly before his death that he wished he had started conventional care much sooner.

I agree about earlier testing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My heart goes out to her... She will need courage like never before- 

Cancer can be caused by many different things, and is constantly evolving,  ( ie , people's individual DNA, viruses, environment, pollutants ) so a 'cure' is virtually impossible- We can't blame big business that there is no cure- JMO but I worked for many years in oncology research-

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear this. I know she's been fighting it for a while. We have a friend that was diagnosed with a rare stage 4 cancer about 7 years ago. He had to quit his job though he still works part time and has been through a lot but he's doing pretty well.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Doesn't Dana from Perricone have stage 4 breast cancer? Like they say, everyone knows someone who has cancer. My BIL has prostate cancer end stage and my aunt had breast cancer.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

They need to find a blood test that works to detect cancers.  Part of the problem is that there are very few screening tests for cancer.  People don't know they have it until they have a problem and often times once there are syptoms, the cancer is too far progressed to respond to treatment.  

If they could develop a blood test that was part of our routine yearly physical, I believe strides would be made in treatments.

@Lipstickdiva 

There is a test for Prostate cancer, PSA.

There is also a blood test for Ovarian cancer.  May only be for high risk.

May be more, I don’t know.

As someone mentioned, another problem is ‘wait and see’, or alternative medicine.  Steve Jobs, who could have afforded most any type of care, said shortly before his death that he wished he had started conventional care much sooner.

I agree about earlier testing.

@Drythe, my DH chose to have the blood test done for prostate cancer but was told by his doctor that it is not as reliable as the actual exam.  He said if DH really didn't want the exam, the blood test was better than nothing.   I'm guessing it's like the Cologuard test in place of a colonoscopy.   

The blood test for ovarian cancer isn't a screening test.  As you said, it's used for women at a high risk of ovarian cancer or for women who already had been diagnosed to see if there is a recurrence.