Honored Contributor

Re: Shannon Doherty Stage 4 cancer

@Reever wrote:

I contunue to call for action to rid our lives of Cancer, It seems ti be increasing with no cure in sight,  Where is the research and development funding going ?  Why cant they do something.  I am calling for scientists everywhere to find a cure,

It's not up to the scientists.

It's up to the Food Industry to stop marketing dangerous 

animal foods.

Processed meats, Bacon, Red meat = colon cancer

Dairy = breast cancer 

...just to name a few. 

These dangerous foods are in our modern normal day living.

Of course people will scoff at the notion that animal foods

cause harm.  But until we rid those foods, everyone in the medical

field will continue to get richer off our 'Yummmmm, Bacon!'

mentality.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How sad.

Everyone knows that cancer is complex; there's nothing profound about that observation. Interestingly, the cancer "machine" assumes we know nothing about the disease, often pointing to childhood cancer breakthroughs as proof of progress. Childhood cancers reflect an entirely different etiology. I guess we're not supposed to know that.

Poisoning, cutting, and burning, still remain the main, barbaric "treatments" for cancer. For all the "pinking," the campaigns, the t-shirts, the walks (a local PHYSICIAN wrote a LTE years ago, that "they might as well be walking backwards"), we are no closer to a cure.

The fact is that any advances claimed are nowhere near commensurate with the billions of dollars spent researching this disease (or others, for that matter). Cancer--from diagnosis to treatment--is a big business. Don't remind me of the airhead Jeopardy contestant who, duriing the interview segment, described her research job, flippantly saying, "We look for a cure for cancer!" Yeah, it's just another 9-5 job, Toots. Should a cure EVER be found, it'll be by a kid in his basement.

A cure for this rotten disease will elude us as long as it remains more profitable to LOOK for a cure than to FIND one.

Believe it.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Per cancer(s) increasing.  It might be because we are living longer.  Our natural life span is longer.  The older you are, the higher the risk of a cancer.   Here is one oncologists view..

https://www.livescience.com/51099-the-three-reasons-cancer-rates-are-rising.html

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that and my prayers are with her but she's totally wrong about cancer.  I understand that she sees this from her own perspective but there have been amazing progress in the diagnosis and treatment and survival rates of many  cancers.  What was once a terminal illness, no longer is.  There current treatments just a few years ago, didn't even exist.  There are new treatments, drugs, surgeries coming online every day...or so it seems.  "Cancer" is not a single disease and there are a multitude of factors that effect an individuals response to treatment.  So, it's unlikely that we will ever see a total cure for every form of cancer for every individual.  

@chrystaltree, Shannon didn't say anything about a cure for cancer, etc.  It was other comments that stated that.  She only announced she has Stage 4 cancer. 

Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
How sad.

Everyone knows that cancer is complex; there's nothing profound about that observation. Interestingly, the cancer "machine" assumes we know nothing about the disease, often pointing to childhood cancer breakthroughs as proof of progress. Childhood cancers reflect an entirely different etiology. I guess we're not supposed to know that.

Poisoning, cutting, and burning, still remain the main, barbaric "treatments" for cancer. For all the "pinking," the campaigns, the t-shirts, the walks (a local PHYSICIAN wrote a LTE years ago, that "they might as well be walking backwards"), we are no closer to a cure.

The FACT is that ANY advances claimed are nowhere near commensurate with the BILLIONS of dollars spent researching this rotten disease. Cancer--from diagnosis to treatment--is a big business. Don't remind me of the airhead Jeopardy contestant who, duriing the interview segment, described her research job, flippantly saying, "We look for a cure for cancer!" Yeah, it's just another 9-5 job, Toots. Should a cure EVER be found, it'll be by a kid in his basement.

A cure for this rotten disease will elude us as long as it remains more profitable to look for a cure than to find one.

Believe it.

How is that a flippant response?

All of you conspiracy theorists don't think the person or company to find and patent a cure wouldn't be trillionaires? Not all cancers are the same and they all cannot be treated the same.

FYI -- there's a ton of money to be made in "alternative" therapies giving people false hope.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

They need to find a blood test that works to detect cancers.  Part of the problem is that there are very few screening tests for cancer.  People don't know they have it until they have a problem and often times once there are syptoms, the cancer is too far progressed to respond to treatment.  

If they could develop a blood test that was part of our routine yearly physical, I believe strides would be made in treatments.

Respected Contributor

Sad, scary news.

Esteemed Contributor

Sad news for all 90210 fans. Especially after losing Luke Perry

11 months ago to this day.

She said all her 90210 buddies knew about her illness returning

while filming the show last year and Brian Austin Green, David,

comforted her the most.

She is a big animal supporter also and I am sad to hear about this.

Trusted Contributor

Very sad. It's a terrible disease, and so many brave people fight the fight.  

My Sister, is an almost 10 year, colon cancer survivor. 

When her surgeon was operating, they removed the small tumor, and tested as many lymph nodes, as, were typically done.  All were clean, she would probably have been told, the surgery was successful, no sign of metastasis, and no chemo needed. 

Her surgeon told her, he got an overwhelming feeling, that, he needed to further test lymph nodes.  The last one tested, was malignant.  

She underwent chemo, handled it well.  Had her surgeon, not,gone further, there's a very good chance, she wouldn't be here today.  Still gives me the shivers!! 

Esteemed Contributor

There's a lot of answers here from people who've never sat in the oncologist's office discussing what's killing them.

Mine is classed as both rare and aggressive. Little is known about this type, so of course we are the guinea pigs. Oncologists gather data from us to learn about this type of cancer.

Standard anti cancer radiation doesn't effect it. Fortunately, not long before I was diagnosed, a pharmaceutical house developed the treatment I take. Another treatment med has been developed in the last few years.

We can't stop this cancer. These treatments only interfere with cancer's ability to reproduce and overwhelm the body.

Those who came before me with this type had no treatment option and less reason for hope than I have.

@_______, you can go sit in the corner.