Honored Contributor

Re: Shannon Doherty Stage 4 cancer

Cancer is a horrible disease but more of us actually die from heart disease.  

Honored Contributor

@Reever. It seems to be increasing? Because one semi-celebrity announced a recurrence?

There are so many more cancer survivors nowadays than there used to be. Thousands of women now survive breast cancer who wouldn't have 20 or 30 years ago. Same for many other types of cancers. Either survive or live much longer than they used to.

Of course I wish they would find a cure for this terrible disease and esp make quicker progress against those cancers with "death sentence" diagnoses. But I do take issue with your statement. There are far more survivors than there used to be so clearly great strides have been made to fight cancer.
Honored Contributor

This just happened to John Andretti who passed away from stage 4 colon cancer last week at 56.  Nicest man you would ever have the pleasure to meet.  Got the all clear he was in remission  and then he got the same call less than a year later it was back with a vengence. 

I am so sorry for her.  I hope she is able to be well again.  She is way too young.  Such a horrific disease that needs to go.   

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that and my prayers are with her but she's totally wrong about cancer.  I understand that she sees this from her own perspective but there have been amazing progress in the diagnosis and treatment and survival rates of many  cancers.  What was once a terminal illness, no longer is.  There current treatments just a few years ago, didn't even exist.  There are new treatments, drugs, surgeries coming online every day...or so it seems.  "Cancer" is not a single disease and there are a multitude of factors that effect an individuals response to treatment.  So, it's unlikely that we will ever see a total cure for every form of cancer for every individual.  

@chrystaltree ,

Stage 4 cancer is a terminal dsease.  It cannot be cured. Only managed.  Many people are able to live a lot longer with Stage 4 cancer than in the past, but it is still considered a terminal disease.

Honored Contributor

@Reever  Can't find a cure because it's cancers (plural)  They're all different and they react differently in each individual.  Some seem to beat it (not permanently but enough to live a normal life span) ) and others. succumb very quickly. I had a girlfriend in her mid twenties, who died quickly after diagnosis of breast cancer. Left her husband, a very young widower.  My boss had breast cancer 20 years ago.  Had the breasts removed and seemed to be fine.  But a few months ago, it came back.  In another part of her body. Sometimes if you beat cancer in one part of the body, it returns in another part of the body.  The only good thing is that we'are able to stave it off, so many patients live cancer free for quite a few years.

The older you get, the more likely you will develop a cancer.  It's just a vicious cycle of radiation etc.  There won't be a cure for cancer.....just different ways to live with it. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Reever. It seems to be increasing? Because one semi-celebrity announced a recurrence?

There are so many more cancer survivors nowadays than there used to be. Thousands of women now survive breast cancer who wouldn't have 20 or 30 years ago. Same for many other types of cancers. Either survive or live much longer than they used to.

Of course I wish they would find a cure for this terrible disease and esp make quicker progress against those cancers with "death sentence" diagnoses. But I do take issue with your statement. There are far more survivors than there used to be so clearly great strides have been made to fight cancer.

and remember the longer we are now living... more chance for disease and cancer to happen..... years ago people were lucky to live to be 40... considered OLD.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

One reason research isn't going well is that patients refuse to so much as have blood drawn.  

I have a rare kind and was courted, swear they were going to send  a limo 😂.  All signed for stage IV trials.

Wish more were willing.

Respected Contributor

For 2020, it's estimated that 42,170 women and 500 men will perish from breast cancer. I've a suspicion, that if these numbers were reversed, we'd be seeing more aggressive action. 

So far we have a slight decrease in deaths, but only because of earlier detection, with prompt treatments.

I had a friend who was clear for a few years, but then rebounded rather quickly into Stage 4.  At this stage, treatment is grueling, with poor prognosis.  She refused, passing in hospice, donating her body to science, for the cause.  

Shannon's situation saddens me.  It's heartbreaking when hearing anyone will have to face this. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever ,  there are many types of cancer. It's not just one disease, that may show up in different parts of the body.

Some cancers occur only rarely in the population, while some are commonly diagnosed.

The research and progress toward a cure is focused on the cancers that are most prevalent in society.

Some cancers are very aggressive, while another may exist in the body for years before it's detected.

The treatment(s) that's effective on one type has no effect at all on the next.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird: You are so right about it going to another part of the body. A very dear friend of mine was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. She was in remission for 3 years then it came back so she went through all the treatments again. Then after a year they said she was totally Cancer free. She past away 4 months later from that so called Cancer free diagnosis from Stomach Cancer.