Respected Contributor

Re: 'Sex and the City' Reboot WITH SPOILERS!

Wow seems like the characters have really done well for themselves.

Big leaves his ex $1,000,000 and she doesn't even want it - give it charity.  Carrie is unconcerned about the amount - just the idea of it.  When Carrie goes to sell the apartment, the realtor assures her the Picacassos etc. won't be disturbed as the staging crew goes to work.

Of course even in the original, there was mention of expensive clothes, shoes, trips etc.,  so I guess this shouldn't be a surprise.

Respected Contributor

After watching the first episode, I won't be watching .  The first episode was disgusting 🤮 to say the least.  

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

After watching the first episode, I won't be watching .  The first episode was disgusting 🤮 to say the least.  

What was it that was disgusting to you  ? Letting Miranda's son have relations with his girlfriend ? I am enjoying the series , But It is way too forced with some new characters. Miranda was right to blow her stack , with her son smoking pot with a stranger. She then doubled down on it.

Valued Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I agree I did not like the first episode - not because it was disgusting but because they tried to cram too many things into the first 15 minutes.  Yes there are a lot of issues that they touch on, but it didn't have to be played all at once.  I said the same thing as you after the first episode that I would not watch it again - but then I kept watching and by the third episode I found it to be more enjoyable.  If you were a fan of the original series don't give up.  It does get much better by the third episode.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

What was it that was disgusting to you  ? Letting Miranda's son have relations with his girlfriend ? I am enjoying the series , But It is way too forced with some new characters. Miranda was right to blow her stack , with her son smoking pot with a stranger. She then doubled down on it.

It wasn't the content that was disturbing, but that they tried to cram everything they could think of in the first 15 minutes.  It could have been handled much better.  And yes that Miranda stepped on her son's used condom in bare feet was disgusting.  It was supposed to be!

Respected Contributor

I watched it when it was on years ago and liked it.  Now I am watching it and it is okay.  I am watching because I have run out of things I want to watch.  With cable and streaming how is that possible.  When they were young and full of possibilities it was more fun to watch.  Now they are older and facing death, children problems, and aging it is not so much fun to watch.        

Respected Contributor

So let's see.  Miranda is realizing she doesn't know how to talk to Black people - or non binary people - but she's learning - and may even become non binary herself - or at least bi-sexual.

Charlotte actually doesn't have the problem dealing with Black people she thinks she does, but she is learning about what it means to possibly have a transgender child.  Will she embrace it and go for the hormones or will she listen to her gay friend and give it time to see what happens.

Carrie, despite having millions apparently, still seems the most grounded character of the group.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m not hating it, but not exactly enjoying it either. I just read a comment and think it rings true - there’s no (or little) joy or fun. They are making mid-50’s seem like it’s full of hardships and nobody (except maybe Charlotte?) is happy. They are exaggerating the bad, without also focusing on what could be good. In fact, thank goodness for the new characters, as they seem well written and more dynamic than the original three.

I was a little saddened with the way Stanford was written out, but they were obviously hampered by the actor’s death. Will miss the character and it was a shame that his last act was a note to Carrie and a divorce. I guess at least it wasn’t a post-it.

I was also racking my brain about what was so “disgusting” about the first episode. I did forget about the condom comment. I settled on the podcast discussion and what Carrie subsequently asks Big to do in front of her. I could see some people uncomfortable watching that, even though Samantha probably said or did similar in the original.

Respected Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@MW in Iowa @Miranda has nothing to do with what I said.   Apparently you didn't watch the whole episode. 

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@MW in Iowa @Miranda has nothing to do with what I said.   Apparently you didn't watch the whole episode. 

I did watch all episodes in entirety. I think i just didn't understand which part you meant to be disgusting. I didn't mean to diss your opinion at all , i was not understanding which part of the episode you were referring to. The podcast scene maybe ?