Respected Contributor

Seven in 10 TV Viewers Stream Programming *** Future TV a sphere?

<h1>Streaming Devices Poised to Dominate Viewing Preferences As Seven in 10 TV Viewers Stream Programming</h1>

Second NATPE||Content First and Consumer Electronics Association content delivery study shows live TV decline, rise of multi-screen viewing

Excerpt

Among the study’s findings:

· Millennials flock to streaming. The millennial demographic group - age 13 to 34 - is comfortable using many different sources of TV program content and consequently are significantly more likely to consume full-length TV programs from a streaming source (84 percent streamed in the past six months) than live TV programming at its original air time (54 percent), or recorded content from a DVR (33 percent).

· Millennials value their Netflix subscriptions more than broadcast or cable. Millennials value their ability to stream content above cable or broadcast channels. The ability to choose what they want to watch when they want to watch it is of high value to all three generational groupings, but particularly among millennials. In the study, 51 percent consider subscription to Netflix “very valuable,” compared to 42 percent for broadcast channels, and 36 percent for cable subscriptions.

· Gen Xers love video on demand and DVRs. Gen Xers tend to be the heaviest users of their cable/satellite/telco time shifting offerings including video on demand (VOD) and DVR. Among those in this age group who have access to VOD, 76 percent use their VOD service once a week or more often, similar to SVOD usage. The study found DVRs are primarily used to avoid commercials, while VOD is for convenience.

TV of the future may be a sphere

Las Vegas (AFP) - The TV of the future may not be a rectangle, but a sphere.

Some visitors to the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show got a peek at this new way to view 360-degree video.

The new viewing experience was shown as part of a collaboration among several partners including French video software firm Ateme and British-based Pufferfish Displays, which makes the spherical projection module.

Although 360-degree video can be viewed on a standard television or tablet, the spherical module adds a new dimension, said Mike Antonovich, the Ateme general manager for the Americas.

Honored Contributor

Re: Seven in 10 TV Viewers Stream Programming *** Future TV a sphere?

I'm old. I DVR just about everything I can. I HATE commercials.

My daughters are what's called a Millineal (sp). One reads most of the time. The other one reads and watches some TV. The other one skiis, hikes, etc. She's never home. When she is she watches shows on her computer (whatever that's called).

She thinks having cable is dumb and only has minimum.

I think it doesn't make sense to put people in boxes. I do think people are figuring out ways to get around cable.

It's people like me and my friends who just pay it, watch it and could care less.

I guess I should have said one daughter has 4 children (2-12) one has 3 (3-8). I don't know how they stay mentally functional. I know I'd be a crazy person in this day and age.

So here's a toast to whomever can beat the system.

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 annabellethecat said:

I'm old. I DVR just about everything I can. I HATE commercials.

My daughters are what's called a Millineal (sp). One reads most of the time. The other one reads and watches some TV. The other one skiis, hikes, etc. She's never home. When she is she watches shows on her computer (whatever that's called).

She thinks having cable is dumb and only has minimum.

I think it doesn't make sense to put people in boxes. I do think people are figuring out ways to get around cable.

It's people like me and my friends who just pay it, watch it and could care less.

I guess I should have said one daughter has 4 children (2-12) one has 3 (3-8). I don't know how they stay mentally functional. I know I'd be a crazy person in this day and age.

So here's a toast to whomever can beat the system.

I watch every thing on the computer live and stream line...

I will not go back to cable, Sat. etc.

I get offers all the time to return...

One Co. promised $69 for net and Cable but after all the taxes etc it was around $97 for just the basic and 2mps for the net. It is not worth it and I can get Foxnews online why pay $200. to get more channels I don't care to watch no wonder they are going under

Super Contributor

Actually I know younger people who don't own TV's they stream everything. For me the idea of sitting at a desk etc and watching a computer doesn't appeal to me. I'm older also

Honored Contributor

I'm one of the 3 in 10 so I guess I'm swimming down stream.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind paying for something if I think it is worth it. I just can't stand the thought that there are cable channels I can't get. I'm like that with most things. I usually am pretty good at getting the price down though.

My girls were raised with this phrase: "Any fool can pay a lot of money for something. A wise person will get what they want for the least amount of money".

The way I look at it I'm 68 years old. Widow. Live with 2 cats. Daughters have plenty of money, don't need mine. My youngest daughter isn't married so I give her money when she needs it. The old addage "You can't take it with you".

My late husband used to say, "If we do this right. There won't be any left when we die". He was being facetious.

We all need to enjoy our lives whatever way we CAN (keyword CAN).

Honored Contributor

We are streaming quite a bit, we are ditching Directv next month.

Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 SydneyH said:

We are streaming quite a bit, we are ditching Directv next month.

They are unbearable I sign up for it, a minutes later after the tech left, I realized I wanted the DVR or something that was important and they would not allow me to upgrade I forgot whatever it was I locked in for two years so after a while I got to the point I brought my way out...

The other companies promise a rate and before you know it like going up, up etc.

I now Internet service and watch what I want that is available even Foxnews and I have subscribed to sources I like.

Honored Contributor

The good thing about streaming (or whatever it all is called, I don't really know or understand) is that it gives people alternatives.

I'm all about people doing whatever works best for themas long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.