Esteemed Contributor

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

[ Edited ]

With the very recent passing of magnificent dancer Jacques d'Amboise, Russ Tamblyn is now, sadly, the sole remaining "Brother."  Russ recently appeared on TCM discussing "West Side Story".

However, there are still 4 surviving "Brides", most notably the lovely Jane Powell.

Keel-342-5.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I recently watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on TCM.  I loved Howard Keel especially in Calamity Jane, one of my favs.  It is sad to hear the passing of so many entertainers who gave us much enjoyment.  The dancing in this movie was incredible and exciting to watch.  Not being a dancer, I admire all the energy and discipline it takes for those dance numbers.  This movie is a light hearted musical which makes you happy and that is good enough for me.

Honored Contributor

Sorry to read that. I did watch the Russ Tablyn interview the other day on TCM.

What would we do without TCM giving us tidbits of interviews of these talented people.

Now I want to read up on Jacques d'Amboise.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that about Jacques d'Amboise--  loved his exuberant style, full of vitality and panache.  RIP to an important figure in the dance world.

Honored Contributor

They don't make them like that. Can't say the word I'd use for a lot of the new movies.

Respected Contributor

'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' was made at a time when the folks in Hollywood really had TALENT, with a capital T.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.  That dance sequence is one of my all-time favorites.  Very difficult to top that.  I'm so envious of dancers because they seem so joyous and free and are able to move, bend and stretch their bodies to limits I can't even imagine (even when I was young).

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Valued Contributor

I love this movie. The dancing is fantastic and the costumes are so colorful. 

I don't usually watch movies over and over but this one I have watched so many times.

Jacques d'Amboise founded the National Dance institute which takes dance into the public schools. He believed that dance is for everyone. 

There is a documentary about him.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

I've recently been watching old "Love Boat" episodes on Paramount + (looking for something light and fluff.)

Imagine my delight when I caught an episode with Jane Powell (playing a maid to Mary Wickes) who falls for "playboy" Howard Keel.

So fun to see old movie and TV stars!

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

They don't make them like that. Can't say the word I'd use for a lot of the new movies.

@AuntG 

I totally agree!!!  The "Academy" tauted "LaLa Land" as a return to musicals and was reaped with high praises....to me it was a tad blah and nothing like the old musicals---"Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" is a favorite and an example of what a musical should be..... and even the little known "I Love Melvin" is enjoyable which Debbie Reynolds starred at the ripe age of 19!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that about Jacques d'Amboise--  loved his exuberant style, full of vitality and panache.  RIP to an important figure in the dance world.

Oznell.. correct me if I am wrong .. but wasn't Russ Tamblin the

youngest brother of Elizaeth Taylor in " Father of the Bride " ??