Esteemed Contributor

Secrets of Selfridges documentary

If you love shopping, you'll like the documentary "Secrets of Selfridges" which covers the rise of the modern department store in London.

I had no idea that the store founder Harry Gordon Selfridge was an American. He brought in the first department store cosmetic counter and made it OK for women to shop by themselves in a store.

The documentary was on PBS but I also found it on youtube as well. I won't post a link as there are several uploads there. Just go to youtube and do a search.

Honored Contributor

Re: Secrets of Selfridges documentary

@TY  There was a series on PBS awhile ago ‘Mr. Selfridge’. I’m sure they took some liberties but it was so good. Harry came to London and created so much and it was sad what happened at the end. You may enjoy the series.

Esteemed Contributor

@TY , @proudlyfromNJ  is right.  The series is a good one to stream.  I think I saw it on PBS.  LM

Honored Contributor

Yes, the series "Mr. Selfridge" on PBS's Masterpiece was excellent, I really enjoyed it!

Honored Contributor

Sounds interesting!  I'm off to find it! Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I saw the documentary and also watched the PBS series. The series really glossed over Harry Selfridges spending sprees later in life. 

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Yes, the series "Mr. Selfridge" on PBS's Masterpiece was excellent, I really enjoyed it!

@Hooty LOVED! that series!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'll look for the documentary - thank you for the info! I loved the series with Jeremy Piven. I read the book Shopping, Seduction and Mr. Selfridge. It was just okay, I should have stuck with just the series. lol