Respected Contributor

Season finalies and then reruns till January...I hate this time of year.

The time of year when I would really like shows to watch we are coming up to the finales and reruns and Christmas programming.   I really dislike the period from Thanksgiving till January the 2nd.  I don't do a lot of shopping and spending and don't have close family so this is the worst part of the year for my husband and myself.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Season finalies and then reruns till January...I hate this time of year.

[ Edited ]

I agree but I think I am set for this year.  Got lots of movies on the DVR and have a couple of series on Amazon and Netflix I am working on.  Also,  I just caught on that I can get movies for FREE from my library system. Plus I am working on a new sewing project.

Honored Contributor

I used to find this really frustrating too. I often wondered what TV executives thought people did over the hollidays... I mean, come on, none of us are tied up with family, friends, cooking, decorating or at parties 24/7... The seasonal fare they offer is often repeats of decades old programming or otherwise lacking... Of course, given today's network offerings, I'm not quite as frustrated by it as I once was... Given the nature of most network programming, marginal writing, the incessant preaching and teaching, dicey casting and the relative mix of ads to programming, I've already pretty much walked away from most of the new and returning shows I'd decided to give a whirl...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't think hour long programs do well in reruns so the networks like to put original content on. Shows use to have 22 episodes for a season and reruns so it would last the whole season. Now shows make maybe 13 or 20 episodes (no reruns) so they need to break the season in two so they have new shows for the May sweeps.

Respected Contributor

I DVR a lot of old movies on TCM channel and also have some old series I bought from Amazon that were British comedies.  Are You Being Served?, and the one with Mrs. Bucket (Mrs. Bouquet!), etc. and watch these during the hiatus from my favorite TV shows.  I also did not watch some of the mid-season finals as I will watch them next week.  I DVR a lot of movies from TCM channel, I never get tired of these classic old movies.  

Honored Contributor

@chiclet  I have the complete series of Mad Men that I have never seen, so will be binging on that when there is nothing else on tv, also a few other series, so am well stocked.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind the break from the programs I watch, in fact I welcome it.  I love to read and I am able to catch up with my many books.  Also I am busy shopping and decorating, meeting friends and enjoying the season which flies by.  I also have many shows on my DVR and also Christmas favorites which I always watch this time of year.  

It isn't always easy at this time of year but there is happiness in many of the simple things of life. Take each day as it comes and enjoy. 

Regular Contributor

Aubegirl........You should look into getting  ROKU , I guess they call it streaming. Any tech guy can install it. Only bout 7 or 8 dollars a month and they carry all the British, Irish and Australian series.  I like the British mysteries, Midsommer murders, Vera, A place to call Home and dozens more ! You'll never be bored, always something to watch and no ads !  Look into it, of course Netflix is always good, but RUKO which contains ACORN is the best ! Felinemom

Honored Contributor

The Great American Baking Show will return this year, on Thursday, December 6.  There will be two new judges: Paul Hollywood, who everyone knows of course, and Sherry Yard, who no one knows.  Last year, the series came to an abrupt end when judge Johnny Iuzzini was accused of harrassment.  That was disappointing, mainly because we enjoyed the series.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@chiclet  I have the complete series of Mad Men that I have never seen, so will be binging on that when there is nothing else on tv, also a few other series, so am well stocked.

Oh, you are going to love this series!  I grew up and worked during this time period and this show is very, very realistic.  I miss Mad Men and will also buy the series to rewatch it.