Super Contributor

The episode did all come together at the end. Two characters are present day and being introduced as new characters. One character we know and is discovered to have a disability. We are seeing this character in the future. I am being vague because I am not sure how to use spoilers.

Honored Contributor

Re: Season 4 This Is Us

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Is the first episode set 20 years in the future?

this episode, for the most part, is set in the present......except for the "meet the parents" (past) and "the blind guy." (future)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

yes, it all comes together at the end........each person featured in the "new stories" has a connection to the present day family members.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't enjoy it - too many new characters for the first episode. Can't figure out the connection with the woman soldier.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I didn't enjoy it - too many new characters for the first episode. Can't figure out the connection with the woman soldier.

the woman soldier now has a connection with uncle nicky.....and possibly kevin since he is going to help him out.

Valued Contributor

I hope someone can explain tonight's episode. The flashbacks or projections into the future have me totally confused. I think the blind man was the grown up version of Toby and ( can't think of her name )'s baby? The lady who went to AA and had hit her child and had been in the armed forces is one of the new characters. Was the man who caused the glass to break and got arrested Nicky, the uncle? Too many new characters! 

Respected Contributor

I find that the episode was nicely done by the writers and actors.

You had to pay close attention as things were going fast but everything came together in the end.

Looking forward to where things will go.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@elruth wrote:

I hope someone can explain tonight's episode. The flashbacks or projections into the future have me totally confused. I think the blind man was the grown up version of Toby and ( can't think of her name )'s baby? The lady who went to AA and had hit her child and had been in the armed forces is one of the new characters. Was the man who caused the glass to break and got arrested Nicky, the uncle? Too many new characters! 

@elruth 

yes, the blind man is baby jack in the future.

the man who broke the glass where the meeting was taking place (with the female soldier speaking) was nicky, the uncle......in the present.

Honored Contributor

What confused me was my brain kept thinking that the  blonde woman with gown up Jack and the ex solider are the same person, this kept me awake for hours trying to figure it out

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I was confused for awhile and you had to pay close attention to the new characters but it all made sense near the end. I love this show!!