Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the explanations.  I was getting very frustrated with this episode, much as I like the series.  I think they introduced too many new characters at once; it might have been better to introduce one new character in each episode.  I was beginning to think I would not be able to watch the series any more because this episode was so confusing, with so many characters I did not know.  Your explanations were a big help. 

Respected Contributor

It is tough to "casually" watch this show as they flash backward, forward, sideways, vertically, and diagonally. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

In watching the episode last night, I felt like I walked into the middle of the show, who were these people? But This Is Us always comes back around, we understood how these people entered the Pearson’s orbit. I’m thinking Cass by being near Nicky, may meet Kevin (he is Nicky’s family contact), could she be the mother of Kevin’s child? I like that a grown up Jack is carrying the torch, singing as his grandmother and mother did before him.

Honored Contributor

For whatever reason, I thought Jack and Miguel were friends from way way back. Seems Jack met Miguel around the same time as he started to date Rebecca. Rebecca's dad was awful to Jack, good thing Jack wasn't scared off by him. I wonder if Rebecca ever found out about his comments to Jack (Rebecca thought he was easier than her mother)?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 @Mersha @Mersha @JayVee @halfpint1 @Puppy Lips 

Just finished watching the first episode of this season (2019) and hve not read everybody's posts yet.

We kept saying "we don't know who this!"

My joke: the new name of this show is: "This is Not Us." Lol

I guess everything we saw tonight is a spoiler, so all I will say right now is they did it to me again!

Gut wrenching ... and I'm near tears! 

How could they?😬🥴😮😳😭

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

For whatever reason, I thought Jack and Miguel were friends from way way back. Seems Jack met Miguel around the same time as he started to date Rebecca. Rebecca's dad was awful to Jack, good thing Jack wasn't scared off by him. I wonder if Rebecca ever found out about his comments to Jack (Rebecca thought he was easier than her mother)?

Alot of people were confused and thought Miguel was the guy that loaned Jack money the night he met Rebecca and took her on the date. (So you are not alone). But that man was Daryl, not Miguel. Miguel and Jack met when he got the suit coat in last nights episode. Hope this helps. Ps Love the show. I watch each episode 4 to 5X than delete it the following year. lol. (Then I get the DVD for each season to save them). Im obsessed!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

I had it with this show. forward  backwards to the past present.

enough already. its run its course.

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Alot of people were confused and thought Miguel was the guy that loaned Jack money the night he met Rebecca and took her on the date. (So you are not alone). But that man was Daryl, not Miguel. Miguel and Jack met when he got the suit coat in last nights episode. Hope this helps. Ps Love the show. I watch each episode 4 to 5X than delete it the following year. lol. (Then I get the DVD for each season to save them). Im obsessed!

@Shorty2U @I did get that Miguel was the salesman that helped Jack. It’s just that seeing Jack and Miguel in earlier seasons working at the same office, I thought they knew each other for a long time. It was nice of Miguel to suggest Jack “buy” the jacket but keep the tag on so he could return it.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Count me among those excitedly looking forward to the new season.  This show falls into my pantheon of certain TV dramas that captured my attention and fidelity in my adult years. 

In my time, I've loved St. Elsewhere, Thirtysomething and now This Is Us.  I'm so thankful for This Is Us because such shows are rare (at least, that I like). 

@golding76 

I was a big Thirtysomething fan as well, and from the first episode of This is Us, I thought it was very similar in feeling. Then I found out why, with Ken Olin as executive producer. So that makes total sense they have the same vibe. 

Honored Contributor

I have to say, that while creative, I was underwhelmed by the first episode.

I knew right off we were seeing new characters, and would have to wait for the hour to play out to figure out who they were. 

At first, I thought that the young black man with a baby might be in the past and the baby was Deja (sp?), Randall's adopted daughter. I was puzzling about how maybe she had a dad that loved her before something happened and she got stuck with her awful birth mother. 

But when I saw the Pearson bumper sticker on the car in his dad's shop, I knew it was present day and that wasn't the case.

After the series premier episode, I learned to look at the technology in use, the cars, the fashions etc. and try to determine when in time a scene is supposed to be happening.

It's just me, but I'm not at this point interested in sight impaired Jack grown up (although I think there is going to be a strong relationship between him and his grandmother Rebecca). In fact, most of the future stuff is last on my list. 

I want to see what happened to Jack's dad. He was a good father when Nicky was born, but something happened, that we have yet to see, that turned him in to the ****** he became. I want more of Jack and Nicky's childhood, more exploring of Rebecca's family in the past (boy her dad was something in this episode). I'd like to see Gerald McRaney worked back in (doctor that delivered Rebecca and Jack's babies) in their early lives, some story line where he is instrumental in something.

And the kids that are playing the role of the siblings are growing fast, and I hope they have written and filmed lots of scenes with them, before they get too big to play to their ages in those characters pasts.