Respected Contributor

For those of you who watched this season's new epi last night, what did you think of it?

I was lost until the last 10 minutes as to the reason why we saw the cars go over the fallen bridge in the very beginning.    I kept waiting to see what that scene had to do with the court case involving the insurance co.   

As I watched the episode, I told my husband I felt like I was watching a completely different version of Bull.  

I've always loved the show, but this new persona of Bull is just depressing.   If this is the new direction I'm not sure that I will continue to watch.   

I think instead of a heart attack, they should have had him suffering from a severe anxiety attack.    The new season could start with him realizing that he was spiraling out of control and then he gets his life back under control.    This new Bull is so watered down that I don't even recognize him.  

What was the purpose of having his assistant get married during the summer break?

This ex-husband was introduced in such as non-descript way.   It seemed like her new s/l was just pulled out of a hat.   If they had shown them meeting and then talking about remarriage it would have made sense.   

I can't even figure out why they killed off Cable?    Couldn't she have just left NY to take a job in a different city?     I've noticed that her name is still listed in the credits, so I wonder if she is really dead?    I actually kind of thought that after she died her family would donate her liver to the dying woman who needed the transplant.   Unless they intend to have that happen in a future episode, I can't see the point of having her die?

All in all, I just felt like I was watching a completely different show from last season. 

After the show ended I told my husband to change the channel to Frasier.   After all that gloomy atmosphere of Magnum and Bull, I needed something light and comical.

I hope both shows lightened up a little bit as the season progresses.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl, I read the actress who played Cable left the show to pursue a directing career. I was glad Bull gave that woman the $2 million check, representing a large insurance company wasn't a good fit for Bull.

Respected Contributor

I was lost and did not understand the bridge scene or the marriage part in the beginning.  I understand Bull's thinking when connecting with the insurance company but I am glad he gave the money away at the end (keeping in line with the type of cases he likes to win).  I thought there should have been more emphasis on the bridge collapsing and snippets that led to his assistant's remarrying the EX as she does not have the best luck with her choices in men...the last one was a con artist. This was not the best season premier and I hope the remaining shows have better premieres and Bull continues to build as it progresses.

Trusted Contributor

It was hard for me to watch because my niece died last year after receiving a liver transplant.  She had to wait so long and was so sick.  And yesterday (the day the episode aired) was her birthday.  I hope the show raised awareness for organ donation.  

On a much lighter note, I liked Bull's new look.  Last season they made him look too old and heavy.  

Honored Contributor

I actually forgot about the bridge collapse probably because I had just watched 9-1-1 right before it and it had a very similar scene.

Cable left to pursue a directing career and was let out of her contract, probably due to the fact that she was the daughter of someone hight up in the show like a producer.

I guess Bull became close to the insurance guy at his rehab, which BTW, was probably a rehab program not available to us mere mortals.  And, he was probably also thinking about how that $2 Mil/month would cover expenses for his business.  He could hire more experts, buy more equipment, etc.  But, in the end, he figured out he didn't have the stomach for it. 

I don't know about the marriage.  Maybe it'll become more prominent in future episodes.

I did think about donating the liver, but it had been several days I think before they had recovered and identified the body so that wouldn't work.  Doubtful she would be a match anyways.

Speaking of liver transplants, I have been seeing a lot of ads for a hospital that specializes in living donor transplants trying to get people needing liver transplants to contact them.  My guess is, assuming a family member is not a match they try to get them to donate a partial liver in hopes that another non-matching family member will be a match/donor for their famiy member. 

Esteemed Contributor

Seems realistic: Health issues, weight loss, stop drinking, new outlook, kinder and gentler. MW does look better this season. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

I have my reservations about the episode, but MW looked great.

I think they were trying to show how Bull went through a very traumatic experience.

The constant taking his pulse made me think the character was afraid of having another heart attack

It will take time to get back on track 

I love the cast of this show. Top notch acting!

Valued Contributor

This is the best show on TV. great cast and acting.the premier was great and will continue watching.cant believe the negtive reviews to this top notch show.

Respected Contributor

I was happy that Bull came back handsome again.  I think the actor gained weight for last season and looked more slovenly.  

Honored Contributor

First, I am SO glad the scruffy hair on his face is gone, and the longer hair has been cut.  That and the weight loss -- MW looks fantastic!

I thought, "oh no!" when he took on that insurance company 

retainer.  It just seemed wrong for his company.  I'm glad he severed that agreement.  However, I would have given the woman $500,000 (didn't she need $400,000 from the insurance company to cover her transplant costs?), not the entire $2M.  At the very end, Marissa eluded to the way Bull is rich and thinks of money all too differently from the rest of them.  Bull could have kept $1.5M of that check and given it as bonuses to his employees, or re-invested it in the business.  Either way, I thought it was short-sighted not to consider his team for some of the money -- they earned it.

I knew Cable was not coming back a couple of months ago, but I was surprised that they killed her off. 

Marissa marrying her ex-husband -- yeah, what's that all about?  The rest of the team softly kidding her about marrying her ex, doesn't seem like they think highly of it.  That husband will definitely be part of the story line, and not in a good way, I'll bet.

I also don't like the now he's a full on alcoholic plot to the storyline.  He has to ride around in taxis to avoid walking down the street?  Depressing. 

I hope this season builds better from here.