Esteemed Contributor

Re: Season 2 of Big Little Lies starts tonight on HBO at 9pm

I enjoyed it, but I’m not always the most discerning. I just like to watch Reese and Nicole. I think Nicole was a little in the background yesterday, making room for the Meryl show, which I hope this doesn’t become. I’m already reading that Meryl has supporting actress Emmy all sewn up for the year.

A personal pet peeve that I have in many tv shows and movies and had it again last night. I know it’s “make believe”, but, when you are driving (particularly with two children in the backseat), keep your eyes on the freakin’ road. It bugs me every single time I see it!
Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Was a little disappointed with the first episode.  Can't tell you why...

I think we have to give it a chance, there are I believe 7 episodes in total. I want to know why the episode clocked in at slightly less than 45 minutes, I had to wait 15 minutes to watch Claws!

Honored Contributor

I loved it!  I was so pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't in favor of a sequel, too heart that Liane Moriarty wrote the bones of the story that became David Kelley's script and then was so disappointed Jean-Marc Vallee chose not to direct.

Part of the quality of season one was because he was the only director.  That's unusual.  He usually works in film.  His vision and direction were brilliant IMO and can still be seen in the opening credits.

So I don't like this director.  That was a big letdown.

And Meryl's prosthetic teeth were a distraction.  Maybe if she hadn't been made to wear them her real teeth would have been even more distracting.  I don't know.

A bit too much Reese for me but just the right amount of everyone else and hopefully Perry's mother moving out means Meryl's part won't overwhelm the show.  Nicole was brilliant, she's so subtle.

So many people who didn't read the book didn't understand the ending of season one.  I remember explaining it over and over in spoiler boxes.

Now hopefully besides the fallout for the rest of them they will deal with what led Bonnie to do it.  It seemed like a crazy choice to me to leave that out but I didn't know they were holding out for the sequel.  

I love how they brought Bonnie's pain in from the beginning and hope they get to the reasons before the last episode.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I loved it!  I was so pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't in favor of a sequel, too heart that Liane Moriarty wrote the bones of the story that became David Kelley's script and then was so disappointed Jean-Marc Vallee chose not to direct.

Part of the quality of season one was because he was the only director.  That's unusual.  He usually works in film.  His vision and direction were brilliant IMO and can still be seen in the opening credits.

So I don't like this director.  That was a big letdown.

And Meryl's prosthetic teeth were a distraction.  Maybe if she hadn't been made to wear them her real teeth would have been even more distracting.  I don't know.

A bit too much Reese for me but just the right amount of everyone else and hopefully Perry's mother moving out means Meryl's part won't overwhelm the show.  Nicole was brilliant, she's so subtle.

So many people who didn't read the book didn't understand the ending of season one.  I remember explaining it over and over in spoiler boxes.

Now hopefully besides the fallout for the rest of them they will deal with what led Bonnie to do it.  It seemed like a crazy choice to me to leave that out but I didn't know they were holding out for the sequel.  

I love how they brought Bonnie's pain in from the beginning and hope they get to the reasons before the last episode.

@LoriLori . Thank-you. You made much more sense to me...You explained this very well, and I didn't even realize it was only going to be 7 episodes, but can kind of see why..I am sure I will end up liking it, but just couldn't feel it for some reason last night, and you were right-too much Reese.....And Yes Meryl's look was really different...I never read the book, only saw Season One and loved it, so will give this season a chance......

Honored Contributor

Agree with you all about there being too much Reese. She's so intense as the drama slowly unfolds. It's rather distracting. At least that's my take on it.

Honored Contributor

I was amused that some of you including @LoriLori   thought there was too much Reese. I though that in Season 1 but then to be completely fair, Reese is not a favorite actress so for the most part if she's in it, there's too much.

I didn't have any pre-conceived notions about this season but was curious about how they would be able to carry out this story credibly. I felt they did a great job. The addition of Ms Streep should not overshadow the others but will [I hope] eventually answer some questions like why her son became an abuser. Was she abused by his father? I also want to know if Max is getting some help. Both of the boys seem a bit out of control which of course could be an expression of their grief but even if it is, it needs to be addressed.

When the series premiered I hadn't read the book. I have now so I also hope we get to see more of Bonnie's back story. Interesting that she seems to be as alone now as she was before the "accident". Actually in some ways - more.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@Tique 

It's nice to see you.

I thought in season one Reese's character was perfect per the book.  But since she ate the first episode of Season 2 I'm glad she and Nicole split up as a team. 

I suspect Big Little Lies has benefited more from Nicole's guiding hand than Reese's.  Reese has been gobbling up properties.  Nicole owns another of Liane's books and Jennifer Aniston owns one.

I never saw Bonnie as alone before she pushed Perry to his death.  Since they haven't unveiled the why yet I won't go further but she was always genuinely chill which is why when she did it I was like oh, of course -- because Liane Moriarty always writes a surprise ending.

I don't think I want to see why Perry became an abuser.  It would have to be a simple answer in seven episodes and no book and oh no I don't want anything that makes him seem sympathetic. 

Spoiler

It could possibly be done well if his story runs parallel with Bonnie's father's behavior, again not making him sympathetic at all, and if they pull that off I might feel differently. 

IMO the boys were out of control before their father died.  Emulating their father.  Which is why Max choked Amabella and bullied her, frightening her so much she didn't dare say his name so she chose someone safe.

I have a cousin who is just finished binge-watching season one with her wife and then they watched last week's and they've called me with a bunch of questions.  Hard to adapt a complex book.  i remember in season one being like the Help Desk here, and I was glad to do it and never gave anything away to anyone.

It's nice to be discussing a show with you again.  

Respected Contributor

I just watched episode 2, really getting good. I have not read the book, I will later. I usually like the book better than the movie. They are two totally different genres so no need to get upset if there are differences. 

Honored Contributor

I wasn’t thrilled with the first episode.  I thought there was too much Meryl, and not enough of the original characters 

episode two was better.  Still too much Meryl, but at least we got to see Ziggy.  Interesting, that he gets to meet his half brothers! 

Valued Contributor

You know the actor who plays Ziggy plays Sheldon in " The Young Sheldon " tv show. I watched Season 1 but forget why Bonnie was the one who pushed the abusing husband to his death. Anyone clue me in why she did it?