Honored Contributor

Re: Season 2 “Big Little Lies” Summer 2019

This was my favorite episode of the season.They wrapped everything and it didn't feel rushed.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Tique wrote:

This was my favorite episode of the season.They wrapped everything and it didn't feel rushed.

________

I agree.. Whew, that was excellent!  I'm exhausted.   There were several twists and turns that were unexpected.  

I am so glad I watched all of the episodes this season.  This episode was well written and directed!  Heart

Honored Contributor

I guess it ended well enough... but there were some sad parts IMO.

Honored Contributor

Everything was wrapped up, but I just didn't care that much for this season. The 1st season was soo good, and this one felt kind of blah to me.....I felt so sorry for Bonnie's husband in the end, he seems to really love her....He didn't see that coming, I don't think. Laura Dern's character was great, but I also think that her marriage went too far too quickly,I don't know, I guess I won't miss it much! 

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed it, just not as much as last season! I felt it moved a bit too slow as well. I would like to see a Season 3 though......

Honored Contributor

I thought the ending was just right, some winners, some losers.  They left it open as to whether there will be another season by the last scene.  

The courtroom scenes were stunning.

I love these actresses, they made their characters jump off the screen.

Well done . . . I have no complaints!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

There will not be another season, for multiple reasons, confirmed:

HBO says no. 

Liane Moriarty says no and she won't be publishing the novella she had to write to create this season. She seems somewhat regretful. 

Scriptwriter David E. Kelley says no. 

Reese and Nicole are now done teaming up and are executive producing and sometimes acting in works for which they own the rights individually. Nicole is doing something else for HBO and then Liane's "Nine Perfect Strangers," in which she will star.

Many have said it would be impossible to get those five actresses back together even if anyone wanted it to happen.

And worst, it's now come out that the reason the first five episodes were not quality and did not equal an hour is because of creative differences.  Filmmaker Jean Marc Vallee did not have time to return but agreed to consult.  The team, with his blessing, hired a director, Andrea-something, and she disappointed everyone, especially Jean-Marc.  Her episodes were re-edited and thus the lost time.

I mean, from the beginning -- why did she get rid of Blue Blues Cafe?  It was a great place for them to hang out and important to the book -- it was the owner with whom Jane became involved.  The new director did it to differentiate herself.  She r messed up what already had hte makings of a mess.

Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

I would like for Zoë Kravitz to be nominated.  She won't win but I think she deserves a nomination.

I haven't been engaged this season - nothing like the first one when one episode would end and I could hardly wait for the next one. The closer we get to the finale, the more I understand why @LoriLori  was so insistent there shouldn't be a Season II.

Some things should just stand...

@Tique , pal.  I thought of your post as I was watching the second airing of the finale last night.  Yes, I wish they had let it stand.  I loved some of the last two episodes but that's it.

In the book Jane became involved with the owner of Blue Blues Cafe.  It made much more sense.  I didn't like Jane's love interest and her story was flimsy at best, the only impact being Ziggy's arc.

In the book I hope people know Bonnie's mother was the victim of domestic abuse from her husband.  That they changed her to a child abuser makes no sense and I detested that storyline.  It erased the very reason she saw from afar Perry being abusive, it triggered her memories of watching her mother being beaten and caused her to take a long and athletic run that gave her the energy that her push sent him over.  That is central to the story!

I didn't like Madeleine's story until the last two episodes and then I did, the scene with her in her bridal gown was good enough to turn that around for me.

Renata's story I feel the worst about.  Because it was my favorite through the first six episodes.  It was unexpected and so apt.  But I wanted it to end with her taking what she had and leaving.  It was aggravating to see her breaking everything and provided no resolution.  If I had my way we would have gone from the nanny's revelation (wow) in 6 to her leaving in 7, with Amabella and to where we wouldn't know.

All season the best story was Celeste's.  She's complex and I like that some of it unfolded slowly.  Mary-Louise bugged me until I realized in episode 5 how well she bugged me, how well she was written.  The courtroom scenes were electric.  Celeste's behavior made sense.  Mary-Louise made a good villain and Meryl Streep over time did disappear into the role.  I was cheering at Celeste in the courtroom like I do during basketball games.  

Did Celeste's arc make it worth it?  And that moment with the nanny, and Madeleine in her wedding gown?  Yes, as much as I'd like to erase Bonnie and Jane from it entirely.

I agree, Tique, Zoe was terrific.  For me once again it was Nicole's subtle and  brilliant acting that amazed.  It was as good or better than in season one because more shades were more demanded of her here.  IMO it was as good as anything she's done and that's saying a lot.  I'd love to see her get another Emmy...

...but I'm guessing this won't get Emmy love and not just because of the timing, mostly because of the many flaws and the mess behind the scenes that in hindsight is so obvious in the first three or four episodes..

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Tique , pal.  I thought of your post as I was watching the second airing of the finale last night.  Yes, I wish they had let it stand.  I loved some of the last two episodes but that's it.

In the book Jane became involved with the owner of Blue Blues Cafe.  It made much more sense.  I didn't like Jane's love interest and her story was flimsy at best, the only impact being Ziggy's arc.

In the book I hope people know Bonnie's mother was the victim of domestic abuse from her husband.  That they changed her to a child abuser makes no sense and I detested that storyline.  It erased the very reason she saw from afar Perry being abusive, it triggered her memories of watching her mother being beaten and caused her to take a long and athletic run that gave her the energy that her push sent him over.  That is central to the story!

I didn't like Madeleine's story until the last two episodes and then I did, the scene with her in her bridal gown was good enough to turn that around for me.

Renata's story I feel the worst about.  Because it was my favorite through the first six episodes.  It was unexpected and so apt.  But I wanted it to end with her taking what she had and leaving.  It was aggravating to see her breaking everything and provided no resolution.  If I had my way we would have gone from the nanny's revelation (wow) in 6 to her leaving in 7, with Amabella and to where we wouldn't know.

All season the best story was Celeste's.  She's complex and I like that some of it unfolded slowly.  Mary-Louise bugged me until I realized in episode 5 how well she bugged me, how well she was written.  The courtroom scenes were electric.  Celeste's behavior made sense.  Mary-Louise made a good villain and Meryl Streep over time did disappear into the role.  I was cheering at Celeste in the courtroom like I do during basketball games.  

Did Celeste's arc make it worth it?  And that moment with the nanny, and Madeleine in her wedding gown?  Yes, as much as I'd like to erase Bonnie and Jane from it entirely.

I agree, Tique, Zoe was terrific.  For me once again it was Nicole's subtle and  brilliant acting that amazed.  It was as good or better than in season one because more shades were more demanded of her here.  IMO it was as good as anything she's done and that's saying a lot.  I'd love to see her get another Emmy...

...but I'm guessing this won't get Emmy love and not just because of the timing, mostly because of the many flaws and the mess behind the scenes that in hindsight is so obvious in the first three or four episodes..

@LoriLori   that Cafe was such an integral part of the book and Season 1 so I was completely at a loss as to why it was no longer the gathering place. I also wondered why the relationship with Tom didn't continue. Maybe the actor wasn't available but that's doubtful.

I agree with many of your points. Madeline's role [to me] was always written to give Reese a larger part. Most of it was unnecessary including that ridiculous speech she gave at the school meeting.

For me Renata's actions didn't ring true. The lady we saw in Season I would have been out of there long before last night but she never did leave.

The indisputably worst thing was changing the abuser to Bonnie's mom. Absolutely hated that which is why it's the story I feel the worse about.

I read what you wrote about not having a Season 3. I vividly remember reading the same thing about Season 2 until... I'm hoping they leave this alone and move on to something else but not completely convinced they won't give in to viewers' demands. We shall see.

Good chatting with you as always.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I agree about Nicole's acting, just brilliant. I said in the other thread that Renata/Laura Dern were the stars for me this season. But to me it's two different sides of the same coin. I liked Renata only because I wish I could go full on Renata on some people. It's not productive or nice, but I could understand how she got to that point.

Celeste was a slow burn to get to where she got last night. I wanted her to just take that baseball bat so to speak, but that's a much easier way. It's a fascinating study in how women handle such situations. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"