Why 'Big Little Lies' Probably Won't Be Back for Season 3

Kourtnee Jackson | July 13, 2019

With only two episodes remaining in the current season of Big Little Lies, fans want to know if there will be a season three. If you remember, the show took a long hiatus between the first two seasons as no one seemed sure that the show would return for a second season.

Now, amid rumors and various reviews about the current season, questions are coming up about the status of a third season. HBO hasn’t announced its plans for a renewal yet, but early murmurings say that season three might not happen.

HBO head says renewal is not likely

In an interview with TVLine, HBO president Casey Bloys stated that the show’s continuation is “unrealistic.” The reasons? One of them has to do with the difficulty in wrangling all the actresses together to shoot season three.

“I love this group of people – I would do anything with them. But the reality is, they are some of the busiest actresses working in Hollywood. We have deals with some of them — Nicole [Kidman] is doing her next show with us. I just think it’s not realistic.”

It’s believed the women who make up the Monterey 5 will have their major storylines wrapped up by the end of this season, though in theory, the show could still go on. Will they all go down as a collective for Perry’s death? Is Bonnie going to tell the cops the truth or end up drowning as we saw in her mother’s visions? There are questions surrounding whose marriages will survive the season and whose will fizzle out for good. It’s possible that fans will see permanent closure with these stories and say farewell to the characters for good.

Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet