Respected Contributor

Re: Season 2 “Big Little Lies” Summer 2019

I watched it last year and liked it enough to tune in when it returned this year.   I watched the first 2 episodes and decided I really didn't like any of the characters.   I find them all annoying to the max.  Plus, I didn't see anything interesting happening and it just seemed slow and boring.   

Maybe when all 7 episodes have aired I'll watch them one after the other and see if that helps with the story line.  Maybe not.

Trusted Contributor

I'm still enjoying this series, though it's delineated somewhat from the book, which I loved. 

I think Mary Louise and Bonnie’s mom, Elizabeth are holding my interest most of all this season. They're increasing the tension for the main characters, who are feeling their collective world collapsing around them. 

I believe that Mary Louise is sincerely concerned for her grandsons - if a bit paranoid for her deceased son's reputation, and wanting justice for his murder. She's nobody’s fool and delights in revealing it to all. This leads me to believe she must secretly know exactly who her son was. No angel as she makes him out to be, though I could be wrong. It's her pushy deception that does annoy me, but Streep does an excellent job in this role as antagonist. 

I wonder what Bonnie did in her past to have her mom ask: “What have you done this time?” I hope they don’t go the route of Bonnie being raped by her dad and her mom took his side. Wouldn't surprise me, though. 

The guy Jane is sort of dating appears to be 16-17 y/o. Nothing against him personally, but it bugs. 

Honored Contributor

@Q-Anu wrote:

I'm still enjoying this series, though it's delineated somewhat from the book, which I loved. 

I think Mary Louise and Bonnie’s mom, Elizabeth are holding my interest most of all this season. They're increasing the tension for the main characters, who are feeling their collective world collapsing around them. 

I believe that Mary Louise is sincerely concerned for her grandsons - if a bit paranoid for her deceased son's reputation, and wanting justice for his murder. She's nobody’s fool and delights in revealing it to all. This leads me to believe she must secretly know exactly who her son was. No angel as she makes him out to be, though I could be wrong. It's her pushy deception that does annoy me, but Streep does an excellent job in this role as antagonist. 

I wonder what Bonnie did in her past to have her mom ask: “What have you done this time?” I hope they don’t go the route of Bonnie being raped by her dad and her mom took his side. Wouldn't surprise me, though. 

The guy Jane is sort of dating appears to be 16-17 y/o. Nothing against him personally, but it bugs. 

@Q-Anu  Meryl is doing a great job playing a complex character people love to hate. I wondered the same thing about Bonnie's mom asking her what she'd done. I am also wondering about the guy dating Jane. A friend of mine thinks he may be an informant for the police though I'm clueless about that.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oooh, an informant! That hadn't dawned on me, @colliemom4. Maybe. He did seem to pop up out of nowhere very suddenly and immediately zeroed in on Jane. We shall see... 

I  feel the most sorry for her and her son, having been through so much already. Ziggy has been so resilient this far, but where might he land if the truth comes out? 

Honored Contributor

@Q-Anu wrote:

Oooh, an informant! That hadn't dawned on me, @colliemom4. Maybe. He did seem to pop up out of nowhere very suddenly and immediately zeroed in on Jane. We shall see... 

i feel the most sorry for her and her son, having been through so much already, Ziggy has been so resilient this far, but where might he land if the truth comes out? 

@Q-Anu  Maybe Mary Louise gets Ziggy? That would not be good. I hope they phase her out in the end but we'll have to wait and see. I feel bad for Ziggy too. He seems like such a sweet little boy. All of the children on this show are so good at playing their roles and are absolutely adorable.

Respected Contributor

Yes, Jane's new boyfriend is just a pup.  She is way too mature to be with someone that looks like a high school prom date!  Ziggy is very resilient.  I hated that scene when he was bullied. I was glad to see that his his half-brothers came to his defense.  

I am growing tired of Renata's "poor little me!" act.  She has flaunted her wealth way too many times with her parties trying to outdo everyone else in her zip code!  She needed to be taken down several notches!  Mary Louise did a total reversal on Renata's tea party!  I loved it!

I am confused about Bonnie's mother, (Crystal Fox).  It seems like she was abusive to Bonnie and that the father tried to protect her as much he could.  This latest episode lead me to believe that maybe Bonnie unplugged the machines in the hospital.  Did anyone else get this vibe?  Or, maybe when it showed her going to the police station, she was there to confess that she pushed Perry down the stairs, or both?

Honored Contributor

I never thought about Bonnie unplugging the machine but that may very well be what she did. Or she could of course be going to confess about the murder. I can't wait to see what happens. So much suspense!

Laura Dern is doing an excellent job playing Renata. It's as if she was made for this role. I don't like Renata but love watching Laura play her.

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 - if Mary Louise gets all 3 of those boys, she will definitely be biting off more than she seems to think she can chew! (Even with those awful dentures.) 😜 Those boys will blame her for taking away their moms - they already lost Perry. Something about her rigid and sneaky - controlling -  behavior may have helped to warp her son(s). I'd hate to see that cycle repeated. 

@jpie  - in the book Bonnie's father was abusive to her mother. In this series they seem to be implying that her mother was abusive, or at least very overbearing with her crystals and such to Bonnie. Elizabeth mocked her decision to move there, where she knew no one, and basically called her husband an emotional moron. As though she knows her daughter is trying to hide from her past - a fugitive, if only in her mind. On the one hand Elizabeth seems to love her daughter, and on the other hand, she finds it so easy to humiliate her. Is that due to mistrust and fear that Jane will harm someone (again)? Or drown in guilt (suicide?). 

OMG... I hope Bonnie didn't pull the plug! (Haven't seen the latest episode yet.) She may have in order to protect her friends and their children, since Elizabeth - like Mary Louise - is highly suspicious of the whole group. 

Then turn only herself in to the police. 

ITA with you on Renata! Never could stand that fake character. Trying to explain her excessive, showy greed and vanity away with an impoverished childhood now isn't cutting it for me. Not feeling sympathetic for her yet. 

Madeline's snotty husband I never could stand either. Such a snarky p r i c k to most everyone. 

Yes, Jane's boyfriend looks too young and acts too immature for her. Maybe she feels safer with him, and thinks he'll click with Ziggy. I doubt the relationship will end well. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Q-Anu 

Watch the last hospital scene of the latest episode.  Elizabeth says something to Bonnie.   It is definitely an attention-getting phrase!  

Glad you are with me on Renata's character.  Such a pretentious, pushy, helicopter parent.  Ugh!

Madeline's husband, please! Not that great of a catch anyway.  Pay attention to the last bar scene.  Look at who they show in the background at another table, as this will play into the next episode with Ed and Madelin's relationship.

I hope that Celeste can cool her jets when they go to the judge.  I really hope she gets 100% custody.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tips on what to watch for tonight, @jpie! Makes it even more exciting. I'll return and share my thoughts on those scenes. 

To me, Renata is in part trying to re-live/erase her childhood  vicariously through her daughter. That poor child. The only thing I admire about her is that when she's not trying to impress them; she's a pretty good friend to her friends. 

Of course they all have their secrets and family dysfunctions to bind them within their web. 

What in the world did Madeline ever see in Ed! 😝

Me, too - I so hope that Celeste can heal from her PTSD/addiction to abuse and danger, then can raise her sons in peace. We know Mary Louise will try her best to bait her into losing control again - in front of the judge, this time!